How to resolve "Contacts has stopped" and "Sync experiencing problems" after ICS upgrade?
verizonquestion

After receiving the Droid Bionic operating system upgrade yesterday, my phone has lost its record of all my contacts, is unable to retrieve them from Vzn Backup, won't synch with my gmail contacts, and won't even allow me to dial phone calls.  Does anyone know how to resolve this?

I'm getting the error message when I tap the People or Phone icons:

Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped.

When I go to Accounts & Sync, I get a Sync error, and the message

Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly. 

(I have been getting that message since yesterday.)

And under Settings > Backup Assistant+ Contacts, when I tell it to Synch Now,

Unfortunately, Backup Assistant+ Contacts Client has stopped.

I tried the Verizon chat service, and was very frustrated to be told that I either have to call Tech Support (hard to do when your phone won't dial!!!), or go to a store for them to fix it in person.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to resolve "Contacts has stopped" and "Sync experiencing problems" after ICS upgrade?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you just updated your phone, I'd advise you to wait it out at least 72 hours before doing anything.  Your phone needs this timeframe for the new operating system to optimize your phone.  During the optimization, your battery may drain faster and/or your phone act funky.

After the 72 hours, if you are still having problems, you may want to try a system cache clear; instructions are in this thread:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/901577#901577

If that doesn't help, back up everything that you can, pull the SD card, and do a factory reset.  That will wipe all your info./settings off the phone, but sometimes that's necessary after a major update like this one.

There's also lots of similar threads on this forum if you have other questions; a search may yield answers.

0 Likes
Re: How to resolve "Contacts has stopped" and "Sync experiencing problems" after ICS upgrade?
verizonquestion

I seriously should be expected to wait three days without being able to dial my phone?  Shouldn't the "optimize your phone" thing require me to be able to USE the phone in the meantime, in order to "optimize" it according to my useage?

I tried following similar threads, but none of them addressed my exact problem, nor solved it via the given suggestions. 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

verizonquestion wrote:

I seriously should be expected to wait three days without being able to dial my phone?  Shouldn't the "optimize your phone" thing require me to be able to USE the phone in the meantime, in order to "optimize" it according to my useage?

Yes, it should.  It may be that the update wasn't correctly downloaded/installed ... I've seen at least two posts where, for whatever reason, the updates that those two folks received was corrupted and they ended up having to get their phones replaced.

The on-line Verizon chat is with salespeople, not tech folks.  The tech folks will also have you do some troubleshooting when you call them, including a cache clear and/or factory reset.  What you may want to do is go ahead and see if the system cache clear helps.  If not, try the factory reset.  If that still doesn't help, I'd call Verizon and talk with Tech Support.

0 Likes
verizonquestion

I finally called once my roommate got home and I could borrow a working phone.

The Tech Support people had me go through some generic steps, then he did indeed send me through a cache reclear and eventually a factory reset. He concurred that the best guess was that the update didn't download/install correctly.

Thank you all!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I hope your Bionic is working well now!

0 Likes
jwilmore

Good to find this forum on Android issues... Thanks Verizon!

I also started getting the 'Unfortunately, contacts has stopped' after the new OS update. I want to add my 2 cents since I found a very different fix (after trying the other stuff)...

My "contacts stopped" problem seemed to come and go, but actually I think it was more subtle, at least in my case, only affecting some of my contacts but not others... When I finally got tired of putting up with it, I tried a number of Power-Offs, hoping to clean up something (hey, it often works for Microsoft OS). At this point, I noticed that some contacts would get the errors but not others. Then I found this forum, and I was optimistic that the clearance of the cache data would fix it, as it had for others... but not so lucky, in my case.

FINALLY, I decided to take a look at my Google contacts online. There were any number of duplicates that I don't recall creating. Perhaps emails or phone calls occasionally produce some of these? There were also a few contacts that I did not recognize at all (maybe due to the same causes?). SO, I cleaned up the online version of my contacts, went back to my phone, and now the contacts are no longer "stopped"!

I hope this can help someone. I wish I had thought of it earlier.

0 Likes