How to transfer app data from old S5 to replacement S5? My apps all downloaded from Google Play; however, the content is blank. How do I get the content from my prior phone on to the replacement? My phone was set to backup and restore from Google.
RW-B
Enthusiast - Level 2

How to transfer app data from old S5 to replacement S5? My apps all downloaded from Google Play; however, the content is blank. How do I get the content from my prior phone on to the replacement? My phone was set to backup and restore from Google. The issue is not about contacts, music, or videos.  I have those already. I'm concerned about the memos and other apps.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to transfer app data from old S5 to replacement S5? My apps all downloaded from Google Play; however, the content is blank. How do I get the content from my prior phone on to the replacement? My phone was set to backup and restore from Google.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RW-B, you are so awesome for finding alternate ways to transfer files! We still want to make sure you get everything over once you decide to upgrade. Sometimes, if your phone is not setup to do automatic updates, your phone will not backup your contacts and pictures to Google.

Have you already logged in to your Google account to see if there was anything there? Have you checked the Verizon Cloud app to see if you had that setup by chance? http://vz.to/1PMqeiX

If you have a computer sometimes you can get photos to upload from your broken device.

MarcusSS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How to transfer app data from old S5 to replacement S5? My apps all downloaded from Google Play; however, the content is blank. How do I get the content from my prior phone on to the replacement? My phone was set to backup and restore from Google.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure your new phone is set up like your prior one is crucial. Let’s get you started off on the right foot with this replacement, RW-B. Please share with us the app names that you are working with.

DavidH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RW-B
Enthusiast - Level 2

How can I edit this post? I do not want all of my contact information to be here?

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello RW-B,

This is certainly not the experience we want anyone to have with a 3rd party app. Thank you for providing us with the name of the apps. I do see that you have personal information on this post. We do suggest that you remove this to protect your security. When you are on the forum, right underneath the last line you type, it will says “actions” that has a little down arrow. You will click that & there is a selection for deleting the post. To jump back on track at figuring out how to restore the app, have you check to see if these apps are fully updated? When you used it, is there a “save” functionality for this app that guarantees that it will save this information for you? One way to find out if you are unsure is to email the app developer directly. You can find this by going into the google play store & opening the app (same page as where you check to see if there is an update) & towards the bottom of that screen, it will show you the email address for the app developer.

AliciaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Hello RW-B,

I do see that you have personal information on this post. We do suggest that you remove this to protect your security. When you are on the forum, right underneath the last line you type, it will says “actions” that has a little down arrow. You will click that & there is a selection for deleting the post.

AliciaS_VZW

The posts currently are not visible on the public forum, so I'm assuming they've been reported to the Moderators for editing.  There is a five-minute window after a post is left where edits/deletions can be made; after that window closes, the post needs to be submitted for Moderation.

RW-B
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello tikibar1,

I initially attempted to access the actions. however, when I clicked on the option it said no actions available.

0 Likes
RW-B
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello AliciaS,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, when I attempted to access the actions for the purpose of deleting the post, I saw (and still see) "no actions are available."  I logged in from my phone within five minutes of posting but did not see an option to delete it.

Thank you for the information you provided for my question.  Both apps have save functions which I used; however, nothing transferred to my new phone when the apps reinstalled from Google Play. In the meantime, I have found a solution, which though tedious, serves the purpose. The S5 has the Near Field Connection feature which allows files to be transferred individually from one phone to another which also has the feature.  Fortunately, a friend of mine had a spare battery that I could use to power the old S5. 

Also in my research, I came across pricey data transfer systems which are geared towards people whose screens are broken and who want to recover their data.

While a separate topic, I am wondering why backing up to Google did not work and what options are available to back up these items.  I'm sure the day will come when I will want to upgrade my phone.  I shudder at the thought of losing my data.

0 Likes
RW-B
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the actions buttons are not providing any options for me, can you tell me how I refer to moderator to delete the post which has my personal information? I still see it in the community threads.

Thank you.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As noted earlier, you can't edit or delete a post once the five-minute window closes.  You still see the post since you're the originator; also as noted earlier, the post isn't visible on the public forum.  Once the Moderators have a chance to review the post, they'll edit/return it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RW-B, you are so awesome for finding alternate ways to transfer files! We still want to make sure you get everything over once you decide to upgrade. Sometimes, if your phone is not setup to do automatic updates, your phone will not backup your contacts and pictures to Google.

Have you already logged in to your Google account to see if there was anything there? Have you checked the Verizon Cloud app to see if you had that setup by chance? http://vz.to/1PMqeiX

If you have a computer sometimes you can get photos to upload from your broken device.

MarcusSS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes