How to use the phone for internet access from a laptop
KURFAR83

I've been told from two different customer support techs that it I should use the phone as a modem to access the internet.

Am on the "unlimited plan", but the speed is still throttled back at 16Gb, and it is painfully slow.

But cannot find any info on how to increase the speed after that cutoff point.

Suggestions are welcome.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to use the phone for internet access from a laptop
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

They are suggesting that you use your smartphone as a Hotspot. The downside is that, depending upon which unlimited plan has been selected, throttling can happen at any time, or, after so much data has been consumed before the end of the billing cycle.

One option to gain consistent faster data speeds would be to switch to a data plan with a fixed limit. Yes, it would cost more, but, Verizon Wireless is much less likely to throttle.

Another option, depending upon availability, would be to use a land based Internet service.

0 Likes
KURFAR83

Thank you dexman for your response.

It appears that "unlimited" is not a true description of their plan,

especially if there are various options of such.

Seems very deceptive to me.

I will look into the fine print again.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The plan is unlimited data not unlimited speed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KURFAR83

The plan is unlimited data not unlimited speed.

Ah, thank you for that.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

you're getting 16g xfer speeds?? post a pic from this site!!

Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

The unlimited plan( if you're on Beyond or the one that came out last February ) gives you 15 GB of 4G speed then throttles down to a max of 600 kbps. Verizon is not going to offer unlimited 4G hotpsot. If they did everyone would cancel their cable internet and then the network would grind to a halt. Get wired internet for home use if that's not available then get satellite.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KURFAR83,

We always want to make sure we set the proper expectations when it comes to your plan. I'm here to help and provide some clarification on this topic. Allow me to gather some more information from you. Can you confirm you're using your phone as a mobile hotspot? Have you received an alert that your data speeds are being reduced?

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes