Re: I had my LG Ally replaced 4 times.....
MariamA28

Unbelievable--you're getting the Droid 2?  I just was on the phone and they told me no way I wasn't eligible, so its back to the Ally for me since I need a keyboard.  I even offered to pay the difference and I was told the system couldn't do it.

0 Likes
tfch8184

Sounds like I need to replace both my Allys about 5 times to get something done. All I wanted was them to take away my 2 upgrades that are coming and let me replace my phones. That stupid update that came out was one day after my 30 days and now both phones are junk. If the reason my phone is messed up is their fault then I dont see why they cant work with people to get the issues resolved...Sorry but in customer service how are you going to keep in business without the customers. Trying to call in to talk to them doesnt work so it looks like Ill have to go into the store because atleast they are willing to work with customers to keep them happy they dont just shove you off and say too bad so sad.

0 Likes
mt1979nc

I'm waiting on my third replacement as we speak...I have also had the same issues w/ each of my allys. I purchased the first one in July, replaced end of August, and the third replacement is on its way right now. I'm so sick of all of this. The worst part is that I really like the Ally in general (size, appearance, ease of use, etc.)...however, I can't stand anymore of the issues and the "fix" for the issues is either not coming at all or not in the near future. At what point is enough enough? At what point are they (either LG or Verizon) going to pull the Ally and either scratch the whole phone or go back to the drawing board. Like many others I use my phone for work as well as personal use and it is frustrating to know I made the wrong decision on a phone and unfortunately realized it within a week of my 30-day return/exchange timeframe being up and now I'm apparently {word filter avoidance}
and stuck w/ a phone which in order for it to work I have to have it replaced every couple of months?????? Customer support has been helpful in trouble shooting and in replacing. However, that is not fixing the problem. Something must be done!

0 Likes
MariamA228

They've agreed to replace my phone with the Droid 2, so this would be switch number 4.  And just so no one thinks I was making any of this up I called using the phone and since the reception has been pretty consistent, it eventually got to the point where the technition needed to call my home number to complete the process.  I just read the Droid 2 board and I'm a little nervous since some folks seem to be having this same issue.  I'm just hoping its all about location, location and Motorola does better for me then LG.

0 Likes
Nikilina

I have an ALLY and got it at the end of August.

I have the same issues.

They told me to do *228 and press 1 for restarting and updating my phone... or take out the battery while the phone is still on and it will sync all accounts...

I set my alarm clock and it doesn't go off... I am looking at it saying it is set and it still doesn't go off...

I also don't recieve text messages.  I have to power it on and off and then I get like 20 of them.

And this weekend it kept telling my my storage was low... why do I have this phone and pay more for a data fee when I could save my money and have a regular phone?  If I have to delete apps then what is the point?

Glad to hear I am not the only one with issues.

0 Likes
dashrom

Here's where I become very frusterated. I am on my fourth ally replacement. I use the google talk feature alot, as it was one of the selling features of the phone. I have had several different issues for replacement. Just got this replacement Tuesday of last week. Talk worked literally for 3 days. Now won't login. I can receive talk messages, but can't respond. Was told yesterday that possibly a factory reset would fix the issue. After just getting the phone setup, AGAIN. She said if this did not work to call and they would send a replacement. So I did the factory reset yesterday. Didn't work. Called in last nite, and was told. That is a third part application that comes on the phone. Since I asked if there was a way to reload this, and there isn't. Since this is a third party application, Verizon will not replace it as long as I can call, and get on the internet. Finally after reading the notes she did say they would do a replacement, this time. But not again for this type of issue. Here is where I am confused. I bought a smart phone, that isn't very smart. It is preprogramed with features that some like, and some don't, without a choice. Fine, I get it. But when one of the programs don't work, it isn't covered? I can call, and get on the internet with a non smart phone. Why am I paying for a required data plan on 2 phones. I thought this was so I could do more than just get on the internet. But really use all the features of the phone. I have 4 phones on my plan. 2 smart phones and 2 cell phones. Unfortunately, I can do the exact same thing with each. So my question. Is this really how Verizon works? To sell a defective, partially functional phone. Then to tell me that as long as I'm able to use a couple of their favorite functions, the phone is fine? Really?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

dashrom wrote:

Here's where I become very frusterated. I am on my fourth ally replacement. I use the google talk feature alot, as it was one of the selling features of the phone. I have had several different issues for replacement. Just got this replacement Tuesday of last week. Talk worked literally for 3 days. Now won't login. I can receive talk messages, but can't respond. Was told yesterday that possibly a factory reset would fix the issue. After just getting the phone setup, AGAIN. She said if this did not work to call and they would send a replacement. So I did the factory reset yesterday. Didn't work. Called in last nite, and was told. That is a third part application that comes on the phone. Since I asked if there was a way to reload this, and there isn't. Since this is a third party application, Verizon will not replace it as long as I can call, and get on the internet. Finally after reading the notes she did say they would do a replacement, this time. But not again for this type of issue. Here is where I am confused. I bought a smart phone, that isn't very smart. It is preprogramed with features that some like, and some don't, without a choice. Fine, I get it. But when one of the programs don't work, it isn't covered? I can call, and get on the internet with a non smart phone. Why am I paying for a required data plan on 2 phones. I thought this was so I could do more than just get on the internet. But really use all the features of the phone. I have 4 phones on my plan. 2 smart phones and 2 cell phones. Unfortunately, I can do the exact same thing with each. So my question. Is this really how Verizon works? To sell a defective, partially functional phone. Then to tell me that as long as I'm able to use a couple of their favorite functions, the phone is fine? Really?

Verizon's point being that the Android Marketplace is not owned/run by Verizon/LG. The software provider does not have to get permission/approval from Verizon/LG to sell an app/widget on the Android Marketplace. How can you then expect Verizon/LG to guarantee the performance of any app/widget that is downloaded from the Marketplace?

You say that Google Talk worked for 3 days. Did you have other apps/widgets installed from the Android Marketplace after/before you installed Google Talk? THESE may be affecting the performance of Google Talk and your problem may not actually be with Google Talk, but with another app/widget.

You may want to try another reset, making sure to not have auto restore on app settings. Try a fresh download of Google Talk. If it works for a few days like you said, try downloading a few more apps. If it is now not working, chances are that these apps are causing the problem.

Or you could try uninstalling all apps that you installed AFTER Google Talk. It it works then, then one of these apps are having a conflict with Google Talk.

0 Likes
dashrom

Google Talk is not downloadable from the market. I did do a factory reset. It did not work after the reset. If Google Talk was downloadable from the market I would get it from there. But unfortunately it is an app installed from the factory, that does not work. Even with nothing downloaded from the market after the factory reset. So it appears to be "broken". 

0 Likes
dashrom

It's as if something is corrupt. Literally works, and then the message " could not connect to server. will retry shortly" appears. My wife has the exact same phone. We have the same apps. Hers works fine, mine does not. She can send me a message while sitting next to me. I receive the message. When trying to respond, screen goes blank. Then I get the message. This is even after the factory reset. So I don't know how, or why, but it isn't working.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

dashrom wrote:

Google Talk is not downloadable from the market. I did do a factory reset. It did not work after the reset. If Google Talk was downloadable from the market I would get it from there. But unfortunately it is an app installed from the factory, that does not work. Even with nothing downloaded from the market after the factory reset. So it appears to be "broken". 

Google Talk MAY have come on your phone, but I do know that it is downloadable from the Android Market.

Have you checked, or just assumed that it was not on the Market. If you have not checked the Market, try again to download it and use that version.

0 Likes