I have had 2 calls tonight from people I do not know saying I called them and I did not call them.
AWANA2B

I have had 2 calls tonight from people I do not know saying I called them and I did not call them. This happened last week but I thought it was a fluke. What can I do to stop this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have had 2 calls tonight from people I do not know saying I called them and I did not call them.
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Ann mentioned, there isn't anything that a user can do to stop telemarketers from spoofing their phone number. There are two options to consider for the short term:

1) Ride it out. Telemarketers tend to switch spoofed numbers often.

2) Obtain a new mobile phone number from Verizon Wireless.

Of course, any new mobile phone number can easily be spoofed later on. I, myself, would ride it out, and, consider using voicemail to filter calls from unrecognized telephone numbers. Even consider changing the greeting to advise callers that your number is being spoofed, and, you haven't been making the calls.

View solution in original post

Re: I have had 2 calls tonight from people I do not know saying I called them and I did not call them.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They were spoofed and there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Ann mentioned, there isn't anything that a user can do to stop telemarketers from spoofing their phone number. There are two options to consider for the short term:

1) Ride it out. Telemarketers tend to switch spoofed numbers often.

2) Obtain a new mobile phone number from Verizon Wireless.

Of course, any new mobile phone number can easily be spoofed later on. I, myself, would ride it out, and, consider using voicemail to filter calls from unrecognized telephone numbers. Even consider changing the greeting to advise callers that your number is being spoofed, and, you haven't been making the calls.

bearone21
Legend

robo calls, block 'em.

0 Likes
AWANA2B

Thanks, I am going to ride it out because I do not want to change my number because it is also my business number and I have had it over 16 years. I called Verizon and they put it on the National Do Not Call list....but I had put it on there many years ago and it is not supposed to expire. Not sure what happened. It is just a pain in the butt because I had some pretty upset people that didn't believe me when I said I did not call them.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

AWANA2B wrote:

Thanks, I am going to ride it out because I do not want to change my number because it is also my business number and I have had it over 16 years. I called Verizon and they put it on the National Do Not Call list....but I had put it on there many years ago and it is not supposed to expire. Not sure what happened. It is just a pain in the butt because I had some pretty upset people that didn't believe me when I said I did not call them.

No point in changing your number that too can be spoofed. Your number on the NDC list means nothing. Your number can be spoofed  other people's numbers can be spoofed. Most of the people doing this work outside the US

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Boring pretty much says it all. These telemarketers are located overseas, and, utilize VoIP services to make their blanket calls. To them, state and national DNC lists are meaningless.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AWANA2B, I'm sorry to hear someone was spoofing your number. As dexman shared, it can be hard to combat spoofing, and I understand the desire not to change your number. A couple of things you can do to try and deal with this issue.

First, I would report your number has been spoofed to the FCC. You can file a complaint at the following link: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/signin?return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fconsumercomplaints.fcc.go...

The second thing you can consider to help with incoming calls, is Caller Name ID. It's our new feature and app, which can help screen those kind of calls. You can find more information about it here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/caller-name-id/

I hope you find this information benefical.

John_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes