I "Droided" Myself
kathy07

Ok, I broke down and got myself a Droid Eris!  I couldn't wait any longer.  It is out for delivery, and I'll be receiving it sometime this afternoon!  I have tried to read through these forums the past few weeks the best I could.

I have never owned a smartphone of anykind, my current phone is the Motorola Rival.

I would like to know...what is the FIRST thing I should do when I open the box? I know the battery will need to be charged and that I need to activate the phone...but THEN what should I do FIRST??

Thanks for your help!

Kathy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I "Droided" Myself
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Not sure if the user manual is packaged with the phone but you can get it here.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I've never owned an Android so I don't have specific advice, but I remember how much fun it was getting my first smart phone, the BB Curve. I basically learned the device from going into all the apps and menus. When I had questions, because the manual was so huge, I did a search on CrackBerry instead. You could try AndroidCentral.

Nevertheless, you may have a sore neck from being on it for so many hours! Enjoy your new device! I personally really like the Eris ... the display and navigation are great, it felt good in my hand, and I like the trackball option.

0 Likes
kathy07

Thanks for those responses!!  The phone came with a tips and shortcuts manual.  Not sure if that is the full manual, but will check that link when I get home!

I just received it about a 1/2 hour ago...and the battery is charging as we speak.  Wish it would hurry :smileyvery-happy:

Unfortunately, I'm at work...so I won't be able to really do too much till I get home anyway.  I hope it's not too complicated for me.  I'm not too computer savy, but there are 2 peeps here at work who have them, and if the one can work his, I should be able to work mine! LOL  I'm a little bit more "literate" than he is!  Good thing the Red Sox have the night off...but unfortunately Survivor is on...guess I won't have no problem staying awake to watch it tonight...as I play with my Eris!!

Kathy

0 Likes
ciampamp
Contributor - Level 1

kathy07 wrote:

Thanks for those responses!!  The phone came with a tips and shortcuts manual.  Not sure if that is the full manual, but will check that link when I get home!

I just received it about a 1/2 hour ago...and the battery is charging as we speak.  Wish it would hurry :smileyvery-happy:

Unfortunately, I'm at work...so I won't be able to really do too much till I get home anyway.  I hope it's not too complicated for me.  I'm not too computer savy, but there are 2 peeps here at work who have them, and if the one can work his, I should be able to work mine! LOL  I'm a little bit more "literate" than he is!  Good thing the Red Sox have the night off...but unfortunately Survivor is on...guess I won't have no problem staying awake to watch it tonight...as I play with my Eris!!

Kathy

I've had an Eris since launch, it was my first smartphone and I love it.  It's not perfect, it definitely has it's quirks but it's  agreat phone.  I just got my wife one to replace the Omnia 1 she hated.  She is not very techy but loves the ease of the phone and uses it all of the time.

Check out this website for great info and help, the people over here really know what they are talking about.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/

0 Likes
kathy07

OK.. have my first REALLY **bleep** question!  How long does it take to initially charge the battery??  It has been charging for 2 hours...

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Is the charger plugged into a wall outlet or are you USB charging? USB charging takes much longer. 

0 Likes
kathy07

It is plugged into the wall.  My friend at work that has one says it took about 4 hours, but the other said it didn't take very long.  If it's 4 hours...that's fine.  I can't play with it anyway.  And just so ya know, I'm one of those people who following the instructions and don't turn it on for the first time until it's fully charged!!:smileysurprised:

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

The first charge might take a while.

And don't worry about it being more high-tech than you're used to. I went from an LG flip phone to a BlackBerry. I'm sure you will have no problem.

Have fun! Remember to sleep at some point.

0 Likes