Re: ICS Update for Spectrum: Is it coming or not?
ray1994

I think it will appear sometime next year. Which, of course, is pathetic, given that they persuaded people into thinking it would've came out earlier this year. I would strongly recommend against LG phones because LG doesn't give a damn about its consumers the way Apple or even Samsung does (though customer support for Samsung hold a candle to Apple.) LG's too worried about Samsung's increasing market share to actually think quality over quantity.

0 Likes
anthonyCurran

What everyone needs to do is start sending emails to Verizon Corporate Emails persistently every day in regards to releasing this software update. From what I have heard Verizon is lacking brains on how to submit this software update to our phones. This is why if you try to update your Spectrum you will get a error message. So if Verizon VIPs get hounded with emails everyday by numerous people numerous times a day about this they will get off their lazy asses and get this done. I spoke with a friend of mine who works with LG whom stated that the ICS was supposed to be the original software per their contract with Verizon and that LG have been receiving numerous complaints per Verizon. LG is at a tipping point with Verizon and they are about to pull their contracts with Verizon. If this happens your LG phone will no longer be updated by Verizon and you will not see LG sold at Verizon. This is happening with Samsung as well. It looks like both of them are teaming up and they may pull service from Verizon and a file suit for breach of contract. If I were you I would not buy a new LG or Samsung phone with Verizon as your carrier until the fight is over.

0 Likes
Not applicable

anthonyCurran wrote:

What everyone needs to do is start sending emails to Verizon Corporate Emails persistently every day in regards to releasing this software update. From what I have heard Verizon is lacking brains on how to submit this software update to our phones. This is why if you try to update your Spectrum you will get a error message. So if Verizon VIPs get hounded with emails everyday by numerous people numerous times a day about this they will get off their lazy ***** and get this done. I spoke with a friend of mine who works with LG whom stated that the ICS was supposed to be the original software per their contract with Verizon and that LG have been receiving numerous complaints per Verizon. LG is at a tipping point with Verizon and they are about to pull their contracts with Verizon. If this happens your LG phone will no longer be updated by Verizon and you will not see LG sold at Verizon. This is happening with Samsung as well. It looks like both of them are teaming up and they may pull service from Verizon and a file suit for breach of contract. If I were you I would not buy a new LG or Samsung phone with Verizon as your carrier until the fight is over.

I call B-S on your "facts" and your idea is stupid.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Brian, what suggests to you that anthony's information is "B-S"?

This situation is so twisted, it actually makes some sense. We've known of a release candidate for some time. There was an ICS-oriented User Manual available for download several months ago. We've heard a report that a release candidate had passed VZW regression testing / certification.

Interestingly, there's been no announcement / no updates, and no OTA push. The news from VZW hasn't been kept current with respect to updates.

What do you think is happening?

All the OEMs are looking really bad because of the missed commitments. Motorola, HTC, Samsung, LG.

The backlash suggested here seems quite logical under the circumstances.

S.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

A lot of people don't realize.  There are more than just the carrier, and OEM involved.

DRIVERS are all done by parts manufacturers which also plays a role.  I will use the Motorola Cliq for example of how this will delay an update.  Motorola was ready to update the Cliq for the most part and openly stated they were waiting for a particular driver and when the parts manufacturer delivered the driver they can do the finishing touches and should be pushed out quickly.  4 months later...  Driver never came, and people were getting restless.  2 months after that Motorola said they got the driver and will do the finishing touches.  1 month later they finally pushed the update.

If anyone says...  Verizon is withholding an update to get us to buy new phones... I will laugh at that persons face for these reasons:

1. You are already on contract.  Why would they withhold on update to get you onto a contract that you are already on?  You haven't finished completing that update.  Google updates every 6 months to 1 year.  Would make sense if they withheld the one around 18 months to get you to upgrade not the one within 6 months.
  2. Verizon makes money regardless of what device you have on whatever version it has.  Whether it's 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 4.0, or 4.1 you will pay for services(which they are a service company not a phone manufacturer) for as long as you have that contract with them and after that even if you don't upgrade your device and switch to month to month.
  3. Manufacturers have to be working on an update and SUBMIT that update for testing.  If it doesn't work with minimal bugs it will always be sent back.  With the way people blame carriers for everything we give them that power to control the update process.  If manufacturers just pushed out their updates everyone and their mother knows everyone would blame carriers.  Might as well reduce the blow by an approval process(which all carriers do AROUND the world) unless you buy an unlocked device.

Motorola has canned a few ICS updates recently.  Also said a lot of these devices won't be updated to Jelly Bean...  LG/Samsung has always had a bad track record with updates.  HTC was usually the first with updates(though still took a while), but often that's all they give you just 1 major update.  Google is trying to make it easier with 4.1.1 under the hood improvements like HAL(Hardware Abstraction Layer).  CDMA will take longer due to major changes that has to be done with the RIL(Radio Interface Layer).  There are a major difference in coding between CDMA(closed source with signatures that can't be test keys) and GSM(open source and can use test keys).  Slayher was working on an Open Source RIL and I believe it was never really completed. He was restationed and ended up switching to T-Mobile, but he did release his code which I am unsure if anyone picked it up.

0 Likes
Not applicable

stef7 wrote:

Brian, what suggests to you that anthony's information is "B-S"?

This situation is so twisted, it actually makes some sense. We've known of a release candidate for some time. There was an ICS-oriented User Manual available for download several months ago. We've heard a report that a release candidate had passed VZW regression testing / certification.

Interestingly, there's been no announcement / no updates, and no OTA push. The news from VZW hasn't been kept current with respect to updates.

What do you think is happening?

All the OEMs are looking really bad because of the missed commitments. Motorola, HTC, Samsung, LG.

The backlash suggested here seems quite logical under the circumstances.

S.

A) I do not know what is going on hence I do not go about spouting conspiracy theories that come out of my behind that I have no actual proof of.

B) if the OEMs are looking bad you'd think they'd pressure Verizon. They aren't. Hmmm. That's interesting.

C) I have a Lucid with 2.3.6 It's capable of upgrading to ICS. They key word is CAPABLE. I don't recall seeing a definitive statement claiming ICS was coming. That point aside, what advantages does ICS has that I am missing out on? No one has explained that to me.

D) These people bought a phone with gingerbread. I am assuming they had been happy with it all this time. Now it stinks?? If they got a phone because of some implied promise well frankly that's dumb. Why not wait until a phone with ICS came out? Just because you CAN upgrade after 20 months doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade right then. Sometimes it pays to wait. An example; My son upgraded his phone on Sept 29th. He could have done it on the 19th. Now he upgraded his Ally to a Lucid. If he had done it on the 19th it would have cost $50 plus tax so $55. Instead he got it for 97 cents plus tax. So $1.06. So he saved $54. Well actually I saved $54.

Also may of the same people clamoring the next Android update are the same ones say how much Vista sucked compared to XP and how much Windows 8 sucked compared to Windows 7. That reeks of hypocrisy coming from people who always think the newest something is always better. It also bring up the point that these updates are provided for free unlike PC OS upgrades which typically cost in excess of $100.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Brian68, you are correct that in March, there was the announcement for the Lucid.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/pr2012-03-26a.html

And this:

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/bl2012-03-06.html

The second clearly articulates the Lucid was planned to get the update to ICS.

In contrast, if you read the other posts here and on other sites, the Spectrum was advertised as receiving the upgrade sometime in the 2nd QTR. Press releases didn't use "upgradeable" language, rather, it was along the lines of update in the 2nd QTR.

Here is some information about one OS verses the other:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1485360

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-2-3-gingerbread-vs-android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-37742/

Make sure you watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeqSz-mIaug

The things end users would notice most are probably the speed improvements in some applications, but also smoothness in UI animations. If I'm not mistaken, the way the phone's UI is managed by the hardware is optimized in ICS. Then there are potential bug fixes and yes, increased functionality. I believe memory and battery management is also improved.

There is quite a large population of users that purchased the phones, specifically in my case the Spectrum because it was to have ICS by the 2nd QTR. It influenced my purchase decision and my value assessment of the device and the service.

There is noone proposing conspiracy theories.

0 Likes
Not applicable

stef7 wrote:

Brian68, you are correct that in March, there was the announcement for the Lucid.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/pr2012-03-26a.html

And this:

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/03/bl2012-03-06.html

The second clearly articulates the Lucid was planned to get the update to ICS.

In contrast, if you read the other posts here and on other sites, the Spectrum was advertised as receiving the upgrade sometime in the 2nd QTR. Press releases didn't use "upgradeable" language, rather, it was along the lines of update in the 2nd QTR.

Here is some information about one OS verses the other:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1485360

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-2-3-gingerbread-vs-android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-37742/

Make sure you watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeqSz-mIaug

The things end users would notice most are probably the speed improvements in some applications, but also smoothness in UI animations. If I'm not mistaken, the way the phone's UI is managed by the hardware is optimized in ICS. Then there are potential bug fixes and yes, increased functionality. I believe memory and battery management is also improved.

There is quite a large population of users that purchased the phones, specifically in my case the Spectrum because it was to have ICS by the 2nd QTR. It influenced my purchase decision and my value assessment of the device and the service.

There is noone proposing conspiracy theories.

A) Yes there are in fact people here posting conspiracy theories. Some have posted that Verizon is deliberately holding ICS back so you'll upgrade to a newer more expensive phone. I call that a conspiracy theory.

B) As I stated if you wanted a phone with ICS why not get  a phone that for 100% sure had ICS on it already?

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Brian68: When I was purchasing my phone, the only one to have ICS was the GN, but it failed in comparison to the HW on the Spectrum. Knowing the Spectrum was getting ICS by the end of the 2nd QTR, the decision was a no brainer. Had the Spectrum been introduced without the wording it had in it's press releases, I would have likely chosen differently. Back in February, the GSIII didn't exist. It would have been a contender. Motorola and HTC devices? No, not so much.

You may call whatever you want a conspiracy theory, but that doesn't mean it is so, and neither does expressing your opinion make it the truth either. Reasonable people understand as much.

Peace.

0 Likes
liongood9

You guys can try starting a petition for verizon to release ics update for the lg spectrum.  change.org

0 Likes