If I were to buy an HTC One through VW withOUT a contract...?
RCLFAST

Hello, I am a VW customer and have been for some time. if I purchased, an HTC One, at roughly $500 from VW without a contract (paying month to month), can I switch to another carrier in a couple of months, say T-Mobile or AT&T, and use it there?  And, if I can do this, can I buy other phones from VW and successfully switch carriers? If so, should I check to see what phones those other carriers use, and keep those in mind when buying through VW? When and if I buy a new phone or two, for a couple of undisclosed reasons, I want to be able to have the choice to switch carriers.

Thanks very much in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: If I were to buy an HTC One through VW withOUT a contract...?
Kris_h
Enthusiast - Level 2

Theoretically you could, but why would you want to?

0 Likes
Not applicable

The two carriers you mentioned are GSM carriers. Verizon uses CDMA so no to those providers. Please note the device may have frequencies that can be partially used. But the device will not be unlocked for USA carrier use.

The exception is I have read the iPhone I think 5s which can work on T-Mobile and AT&T I would Google it to be absolutely sure. Or ask the question in the apple support forum.

Good Luck

0 Likes
RCLFAST

Thanks for this information, I appreciate it.  I have a rather large VW credit and I may want to switch carriers so, I thought I would buy a phone I like, such as the HTC One, and then switch to T-Mobile, AT&T.... But, if I understand correctly, the HTC One for VW(which I suppose is built with CDMA) is a different phone than the one for T-Mobile(which I suppose is built with GSM)..is this correct? 

Do the iPhone 5's run on other networks...VW, T-Mobile, AT&T?

Apprently, some people are buying used phones off of craigslist, ebay, etc and believing some of these seller's claims that, for instance, a VW Motorola Droid HD, since it's unlocked, can be used for T-Mobile.  There seem to be many ads like this.  Regardless, thanks for the information.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I know that the iPhone works on T-Mobile, I have read that at the T-Mobile support forums. Since the iPhone works there, I will again hazard a guess will work on AT&T another one of those you have to call both carriers to find out 100%.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/threads/t-mobile-iphone-5-usable-on-at-t.400395/

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1503863.html

The second article states a verizon iPhone will work on GSM networks (T-Mobile & AT&T) but LTE may not function.

Good Luck

0 Likes
gurase
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon GSM-capable LTE phones are unlocked to work on any carrier, including AT&T and T-Mobile (there may be a couple exceptions but current phones like the One will work). While voice/text/data will work with the right APN settings, LTE will not work on the One as it does not have the right bands. Same with the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5S can use LTE on most carriers.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Read the link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2249468

The HTC One from Verizon does not operate off of verizon. And other devices also do not work totally if at all on Sprint, AT&T or T-Mobile. That is one of the major gripes consumers make due to not being able to cross use on American cell carriers.

Why would they? The device makers are making a fortune selling devices to operate on each different carrier, and in turn so are the carriers.

Good Luck

0 Likes
gurase
Contributor - Level 2

That link is about using an AT&T phone on Verizon, not the other way around. Although I did look into it some more and it looks like most people can't get anything better than edge when using the Verizon HTC One on other carriers. So either it doesn't have the right bands/frequencies or Verizon is blocking it, but they are supposed to unlock their 4G global phones per FCC agreement. I know the GS4, iPhone 5 & 5S will fully function on any GSM carrier with HSPA+ speeds for better.

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you read further down it mentioned verizon use/non use on other carriers.

The consensus was the HTC One and other devices from Verizon are not functional on other carriers.

And you are correct in your thinking but it was not a law but a understanding. They have conditions and a year to implement the unlocking.

Good Luck

0 Likes
RCLFAST
0 Likes