Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

Does Verizon have devices in its line-up that does NOT have LTE 700MHz support?

0 Likes
Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

armaki wrote:

Does Verizon have devices in its line-up that does NOT have LTE 700MHz support?

Only the 3G only devices.  All of the 4G LTE devices to date on Verizon Wireless have supported the 700 MHz Band 13 for LTE.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

Well, in that case, lack of 700MHz LTE support can't be a legitimate reason for Verizon to not offer Nexus 5. Your "it doesn't have the required hardware" excuse has no ground.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

armaki wrote:

Well, in that case, lack of 700MHz LTE support can't be a legitimate reason for Verizon to not offer Nexus 5. Your "it doesn't have the required hardware" excuse has no ground.

Wrong.  Verizon Wireless has also stated that all the devices they release from here on out will have LTE support.  The CDMA radios in this Nexus 5 aren't certified for Verizon Wireless either.  My "it doesn't have the required hardware" opinion still stands.  The way I am reading the summary of the FCC tables and doc says it doesn't support the Verizon Wireless network.  If you don't like it, it is your choice to go to another carrier.

I don't expect a truly unlocked multiple carrier capable device on VZW until the VoLTE is rolled out nationwide.  It wouldn't surprise me if this is also how Google looks at it.  Their past actions and history with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 confirm it in my mind.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

So, now FCC certifies devices to be used with a "particular" carrier? What are carriers that FCC certified Nexus 4 supports? What do you know about FCC certifications?

What is "here on out' exactly?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

armaki wrote:

So, now FCC certifies devices to be used with a "particular" carrier? What are carriers that FCC certified Nexus 4 supports? What do you know about FCC certifications?

What is "here on out' exactly?

The FCC cerifies all devices no matter which carrier it ends up on.  The Nexus 4 was tested and cerified as a GSM only device.  There is no CDMA radio anywhere in the Nexus 4.

The "here on out" was written because I couldn't remember when in the last year or two it was stated by someone with Verizon Wireless about not releasing anymore 3G only device and only 4G LTE capable device.  It was around the time when the HTC Trophy and the last BlackBerry 7 OS phone was released.

0 Likes
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

FCC doesn't certify which carrier gets to have what device or which carrier's network isn't supported by a particular device. You wrote "The CDMA radios in this Nexus 5 aren't certified for Verizon Wireless either" - who determines if a device is "certified" for a particular network?

Once again, I asked you - what do you know about FCC certifications? What do you think FCC certifies? Do you think FCC certifies if a device is compatible with a certain network?

0 Likes
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

Btw, if your "here on out" is around the time HTC Trophy was released (which is May 2011), your argument is dismissed. Verizon released Pantech Jest (Sep 11), Pantech Hotshot (Oct 11), Casio Ravine (Nov 11), Samsung Brightside (Feb 12), Samsung Gusto 2 (Apr 12), Samsung Intensity III (Jun 12), LG Revere 2, LG Cosmos 3 and LG Exalt (Aug 13) - none of these support 4G LTE.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless cerifies the devices before the device is allowed on the network.  Just look at the Nexus 7.  It is unlocked, has the right LTE radio for a data only device on VZW and has the FCC cerification for passing their tests to comply with Part 15 of the FCC rules for not causing harmful interference and accepting any interence received.  Yet the Nexus 7 hasn't been cerified by VZW and can't be activated as a new device on the Verizon Wireless network.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

armaki wrote:

Btw, if your "here on out" is around the time HTC Trophy was released (which is May 2011), your argument is dismissed. Verizon released Pantech Jest (Sep 11), Pantech Hotshot (Oct 11), Casio Ravine (Nov 11), Samsung Brightside (Feb 12), Samsung Gusto 2 (Apr 12), Samsung Intensity III (Jun 12), LG Revere 2, LG Cosmos 3 and LG Exalt (Aug 13) - none of these support 4G LTE.

Those are basic phones.  I was referring to smartphones.

Basic phones probably won't be LTE until VoLTE is rolled out.

0 Likes