Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

You didn't say anything about "basic phones" - you said "3G only device". Regardless, Verizon released Curve 9370 (Aug 11), HTC Rhyme (sept 11), iPhone 4s (Oct 11) and Curve 9310 (Jun 12) - they are smartphones AND released after HTC Trophy was released. Your argument is still invalid.

0 Likes
Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

Is Verizon wireless an external entity to Verizon wireless? I'm sure you will agree - it's not. So, your argument is Verizon wireless can't put a device on its network because Verizon Wireless didn't certify the device- BRAVO!! This has nothing to do with FCC, as well as lack of required hardware.

Your original claim was "It is kind of hard to allow a device on their network when it physically doesn't have the radio hardware required to access the network." - that's a merit-less argument.

Don't bring FCC if you know that FCC only certifies compatibility with interference laws. Don't use FCC as the basis for your claim that Nexus 5's radios are Sprint certified and not Verizon certified - because FCC doesn't give a hoot about which carrier network is supported by a device hardware.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

armaki wrote:

You didn't say anything about "basic phones" - you said "3G only device". Regardless, Verizon released Curve 9370 (Aug 11), HTC Rhyme (sept 11), iPhone 4s (Oct 11) and Curve 9310 (Jun 12) - they are smartphones AND released after HTC Trophy was released. Your argument is still invalid.

I said I didn't remember when the statement was made.  The Curve 9310 was the last BlackBerry 7 OS phone released.  The arguement is still valid.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The FCC filing list which frequencies the device is compatible with.  They may not decide which carrier is allowed to use the device, but the filing is very useful for determining whether or not a device will work on certain networks.  You are grasping for straws trying to make someone look less knowledgeable than they are.  The Nexus 5 DOES NOT have the proper hardware to use it on Verizon's network.  And you can get that information from the FCC filing.

MrBriano
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If the NEXUS 5 doesn't come to Verizon, I'm moving my entire family to another carrier. My Galaxy Nexus doesn't have much life remaining, and I have absolutely no interest in VZW's "Droids."

Not the Droids You

wjg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ah, but the interesting question is why are Verizon's frequencies not supported? The N5 supports a number of LTE bands, so why not include Verizon's?  Even if Verizon had said they wanted nothing to do with the device, that surely doesn't stop LG/Google from making the N5 support Verizon's frequencies anyway. Particularly as one could get on the network without being on an official device (as people have done with the new Nexus 7). It suggests one of two things to me:

1) Verizon negotiated with LG/Google to remove their frequencies from the N5 in exchange for some other benefits, e.g. support of future devices. (Bad, Evil Verizon!)

2) A Verizon-only N5 is in the works and just hasn't hit the FCC yet.

I'm hoping for 2), but wouldn't put 1) past Verizon. Anyway, my point is, even if Verizon is not a carrier of the N5 at announcement, I would hold your horses about leaving. It's possible a Verizon device will be announced shortly after. Indeed, the LG G2 (on which the N5 is based) only just came to Verizon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

wjg wrote:

Ah, but the interesting question is why are Verizon's frequencies not supported? The N5 supports a number of LTE bands, so why not include Verizon's?  Even if Verizon had said they wanted nothing to do with the device, that surely doesn't stop LG/Google from making the N5 support Verizon's frequencies anyway.

That is a question I would ask Google. They are the one who ultimately decided which radios they want in their phone. No matter what other negotiations occurred or didn't occur between the carriers and Google, the final product is designed by Google.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

r2harrisucsd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm already FULLY prepared to drop Verizon come January 10th - the day my contract is up. I will never have another Android phone through Verizon due to their extremely poor handling of the Galaxy Nexus.

I'll be switching to T-Mobile's unlimited 4G, since they have good coverage in the San Diego area, and the Nexus 5 will work on their network. They also won't play the "hold Android OS update hostage" game that Verizon wastes everyone's time with.

extremus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon will not allow phones on it's network that do not support it's business plan.

The short version - no crapware, no phone.

When I'm ready for a new phone I may give up my unlimited data rather that pay full boat for another VZW crapware loaded phone.

MrBriano
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes... I'm getting more and more excited about a T-Mo switch. That Nexus 7 plan they're releasing is also quite compelling.

0 Likes