Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
idavidx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Technically, Verizon has to allow the device on there network but they decide not to.

"Under the FCC's rules, whoever wins the spectrum auction must allow consumers to use any device and any lawful application on their networks" (We are talking about the Class C LTE 700Mhz)

Verizon won that spectrum auction, and they have to abide by this, do they? No they don't. Should we report them to the FCC, yes we should. Its BS and unlawful. They are also denying the Nexus 7 on there network.

Now, if you know anything about the FCC rule, you know Verizon didn't like it and they have tried so hard to overturn it and have been unsuccessful.

Now, your probably wonder why Verizon is being an (removed) when it comes with Nexus devices, Its actually Google who had the FCC put that rule put in place. They think people should use any device and any apps on any phone and network they want. Verizon on the other hand does not like this at all, which is why they are being idiots. They WILL hurt themselves in the long run.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
jacketrat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with this threads author.  I've been feed up with Verizon's treatment to the Nexus line.  I bought my Galaxy Nexus two years ago, and despite VZ handicapping this phone ... it's been the best phone I ever bought.  I always had to find other ways for me to get Google Wallet on to my phone, or anxiously wait for OS updates.  I want to continue with this brand.  And I trust Google more than Verizon.

Luckily for me, my contract with Verizon expires on December 15th.  Unless Verizon comes up with some way for me to get the Nexus 5 on their network, I plan on leaving.

But I don't expect it.  Especially with the recent announcement that you can buy the Nexus 5 fully unlocked for $350.  Verizon wants their customers locked.  I know it's a smooth business move on Verizon's part.  But I just see that I get more for my customer experience and satisfaction elsewhere.  And Verizon just isn't providing it.

So soon I'll either be with Sprint or T-Mobile.  But I'll still happily be holding my Nexus.  Screw you, Verizon!

blegh
Enthusiast - Level 2

VERIZON YOU ARE A HORRIBLE  COMPANY FOR THIS,. UGH AT YOU

<< Comment edited to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
CodeJockey
Enthusiast - Level 1

You couldn't be more wrong - Verizon operates on LTE band 4 and has you can clearly see from the documentation the nexus 5 supports LTE band 4.  This means an unlocked version of the phone would be able to operate on verizon.  Now whether they will activate said phone is a whole different problem that goes back to google reporting verizon for violations around limiting and charging for tethering.

steve001bb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm with you on leaving Verizon.  I don't get what they are trying to do or not do.  First it was waiting months to have the HTC One finally come on Verizon and now they won't even carry the Nexus 5 which they would sell a TON of and get new customers in the process.  I would have held onto the One if it came out on Verizon before the Iphone 5S was announced.  I have been with Verizon for YEARS but now when I want to upgrade a phone I have to wait the full 2 years, had to pay an activation fee TWICE for the same upgrade when switching phones, and everything they do now makes you go UGH WHY.  We all know why, for good numbers and all that profit BS.  Verizon could be doing so much better if they had someone there that actually knew what people wanted. 

mgerbasio1

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/03/google-issues-statement-regarding-cdma-nexus-devices/

It seems to me like Verizon doesn't want to give Google the same access it gives Apple so Google stopped supporting Verizon. As Sprint is CDMA and it is available, that's seems to be a reasonable interpretation of the linked statement.

Even if Verizon did have the Nexus 5, from what I read about the Nexus 4, it stalled upgrades so it is really worth having the phone on Verizon? I've been on Verizon for many years, have a grandfathered unlimited plan with unlimited hotspot but I ordered the Nexus 5 and plan to try the other carriers.

0 Likes
MyNewPCGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ask anyone that's ever worked in a customer service capacity for Verizon. Those CS reps (both in stores and on the phones) only serve to keep you away from the decision makers within Verizon. It's a really crappy place to be, stuck in the middle, hands tied by your employer, and asked to lie on a regular basis.

0 Likes
nssharp

From Google's site regarding the Nexus 5

• NETWORKS
    • 2G/3G/4G LTE
    • North America:
    • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    • CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
    • WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
    • LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

The phone will have the required radios to work on Verizon.  Verizon, support this phone or I will be leaving your service when it comes time for me to upgrade.

0 Likes
zipzip143
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes it dose it will support there new lte network aws network. And it supports 3g. Thee is no reason why they should not allow it,

0 Likes
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon simply chose not to carry it because google won't allow them to cripple the device/updates like they did with GN.

<< Personal comments removed to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator