Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

There is a reason - which is MORE CONTROL. Google doesn't agree with it - so no Nexus for VZW.

0 Likes
Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

CodeJockey wrote:

You couldn't be more wrong - Verizon operates on LTE band 4 and has you can clearly see from the documentation the nexus 5 supports LTE band 4.  This means an unlocked version of the phone would be able to operate on verizon.  Now whether they will activate said phone is a whole different problem that goes back to google reporting verizon for violations around limiting and charging for tethering.

Verizon Wireless operates it LTE network on the 700 MHz band 13. They are starting to roll out LTE support on the AWS frequency band 4. The locations with band 4 support are maybe a half dozen site right now. Even if you could get the Nexus 5 to work on the Verizon Wireless network, it would be seriously limited to those band 4 locations for LTE support. Everywhere else would be limited to 3G speeds.

Good luck if you want to try.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Mr_Spin
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, now as VZ:

- dropped unlimited data,

- made it impossible to use subsidized upgrade if you still grandfather unlimited data,

- nikel-and-dime you for everything ($35 upgrade charge etc, etc)

- lag with using modern handsets, OSes and features,

I think, this is a time to move on, dump them and take my business elsewhere...

This is a shame, I was using them for ages. Too bad, Verizon.

Bye-bye!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

idavidx wrote:

Technically, Verizon has to allow the device on there network but they decide not to.

"Under the FCC's rules, whoever wins the spectrum auction must allow consumers to use any device and any lawful application on their networks" (We are talking about the Class C LTE 700Mhz)

Verizon won that spectrum auction, and they have to abide by this, do they? No they don't. Should we report them to the FCC, yes we should. Its ** and unlawful. They are also denying the Nexus 7 on there network.

Now, if you know anything about the FCC rule, you know Verizon didn't like it and they have tried so hard to overturn it and have been unsuccessful.

Now, your probably wonder why Verizon is being an (removed) when it comes with Nexus devices, Its actually Google who had the FCC put that rule put in place. They think people should use any device and any apps on any phone and network they want. Verizon on the other hand does not like this at all, which is why they are being ******. They WILL hurt themselves in the long run.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

The Nexus 5 doesn't have the class C 700 MHz frequency band 13 in its radio specs. The FCC rules might not even apply to the Nexus 5.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
aspseattle

<< Duplicate post removed.  See for original post. >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
GoodbyeVerizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Goodbye Verizon, no one wants the junk you add to the phones. Thanks for making the decision easy. Nexus 5 purchased and shipping, hello At&t.

eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just bought my 32gb Nexus 5. I'm also leaving. Verizon doesn't give a darn about us few. The Wall Street profits gained by their ruthless practice of locking phones to their network, then locking us in for 2 years, PLUS purposely giving poor software updates so we buy a new phone on contract every two years... Wall Street loves them! And only Wall Street matters any more.

We're a handful of geeks but they lock in millions of people.

AndreD
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's pathetic that we still have to deal with this stuff. The FCC should step in on this.

This is like if your ISP told you that that you can only use their internet service if you buy an authorized computer. Ridiculous.

jacketrat
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's an excellent analogy!  But don't forget ... that ISP would limit your computer by allowing you to only run certain programs.

sullivan908
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been with Verizon for 15+ years; think I may be done with them. My contract expired, my wife's expires on 12/15, going to switch. I don't like being dependent on Verizon deciding when the want to upgrade the OS.

I have the Droid Charge from Verizon, they've never updated the version of Droid and have struggled with app crashes for the last year. So they don't keep my phone up to date, but they expect me to keep paying full price. "Thank you sir, may I have another" NOT!