Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

the challenge will always be that Verizon has special drivers to gain access to their network. Verizon is very slow (RESISTS) updating their phones. So, a Nexus on Vzw will always be last to get update, if at all. The Galaxy Nexus still hasn't gotten 4.3 and probably never will. Vzw is like any huge corp. like IBM, eventually they get so huge they are afraid to upgrade devices and have a problem. It's at iceberg speed, like IBM or the government because there's just no profit in updating phones.

Samsung leveraged Vzw with the Galaxy S4. They said either you accept our one-world-phone design OR you don't get the phone at all. Big (removed) over there in Korea now that they have market share. Consumers just won't understand why they need updates or "pure google". Remember, consumers are mostly afraid of change and don't like their phone "updating" on them.

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Re: If Verizon does not allow Nexus 5, unlocked, on the network I will no longer be a Verizon customer
stevep2007

It really should work - I was able to get Nexus 5 to connect to verizon wireless's network but could not make calls or access the internet.

But check this out - It looks like it should work. Nexus 5 is designed to work on Verizon Wireless, and most other networks

0 Likes
nssharp

@Stevep2007 . This is because mentioned above "the challenge will always be that Verizon has special drivers to gain access to their network. " Although the chipset/radio the nexus 5 uses may be compatible with the Verizon's network frequencies is will not work because the drivers (software) that are needed to communicate with those frequencies are not installed. You're best bet is to find someone on XDA forums to port a Verizon driver from the G2 (as it uses the same chipset) to the Nexus 5.

0 Likes
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon uses "band 13" on the 700MHz spectrum for LTE. Note that the Nexus 5 does NOT support band 13 in either the US or International version: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Differences-between-the-two-Nexus-5-models-D820-and-D821_id48985

It does support band 4 in the US version, so it theoretically support Verizon AWS, but does it have the other hardware for antennae, etc? Remember, lots of hardware goodies are left out of Nexus now to make it a low price point to drive market competition. for example, the camera is an old 8MP is lesser quality. It probably just doesn't support Vzw, period.

Maybe the Nexus 6 have a partnership with Vzw? If Vzw can find a way to lock down the phones tightly to their network so people can't leave. But then updates would be slow and eventually terminated, as with GNex stuck on 4.2.2 possibly indefinitely.

It's the advantage of being the megacorp, incredibly fast AWS at 80mbps, coverage, etc: You get to lock down everything to resist competition and maintain market. Save money, have choice and poor service OR great service and rigid profit policies. Ever try to open an iPhone to change the battery?

0 Likes
stevep2007

But the chip does support that band 13 - so its software? Or is VZ

rejecting the ESDN?

0 Likes
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

stevep2007, the Qualcomm chip can support multiple bands the manufacturer decides which to use.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6541/the-state-of-qualcomms-modems-wtr1605-and-mdm9x25/2

If you read the difference between the 2 N5s, Google chose two different sets:

• US: LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41
  • International: LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20

Google did not chose to support band 13, instead choosing other bands.They're two different physical phones to support different bands, it's not a software setting.

If a techie reads something different, do chime in. It's Google not choosing band 13. When Qualcomm comes out with an even better SoC next year, supporting more simultaneous bands, maybe there can be one phone for the whole world PLUS support for Vzw's unique band. Tech gets better every year!

0 Likes
xdaxdb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nexus 5 doesn't support LTE band 13, that is correct. However it does

support Verizon's 3G bands and their upcoming AWS LTE bands.

So to say the Nexus 5 CAN'T work on Verizon's network is INCORRECT. It CAN

work on Verizon 3G and AWS LTE. It is VERIZON who CHOOSES not to support

the device at all.

0 Likes
BigBad
Enthusiast - Level 1

Petition, uh No.    You speak the loudest with the wallet!!!

0 Likes
NexusMan21
Contributor - Level 2

Why would Verizon sell a device that only works in a few locations right now? It wouldn't. Once AWS rollout is complete in 2014, everyone will be talking about the Nexus 6.

0 Likes
eturk
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may have seen the rumors of an LG D830

http://www.sidhtech.com/news/verizon-nexus-5-4/10028625/

Could be a Verizon CDMA/LTE Nexus 5. There were earlier rumors of Google and Verizon "working together". But rumors are meaningless, IMHO.

The challenge with Verizon will always be the secure binaries required to authenticate on Verizon network, which means Verizon must do all rollouts and testing. I.e. their phones will always get software updates well after all other companies in the world, if at all. Note that the Galaxy Nexus is forever stuck on Android 4.2.2 and will never get to 4.3 (just as the Nexus 7 will never make it through Verizon "testing" to get on their network.)

This is why I'm enjoying my Nexus 5 on another network and saving $50/month towards a new phone every year. LTE speeds are much faster than Verizon because Verizon's network doesn't have the capacity for all the phones on it. Competition and the free market is great. I suggest dropping the illusion that a massive corporation like Verizon will put any resources where they don't see easy profits for shareholders.

Nothing to see here. Move along.