If you merge calls, what will mute do
Chreed96
Enthusiast - Level 1

My work had a from home conference call. My coworker couldn't get into the main call, so he called me and I merged the call together. Regularly, on calls,  you mute your mic when you have nothing to say. I was worried though if I muted my mic, that my coworker maybe be muted as well. Anyone have any knowledge of that?

0 Likes
Re: If you merge calls, what will mute do
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Chreed96 wrote:

My work had a from home conference call. My coworker couldn't get into the main call, so he called me and I merged the call together. Regularly, on calls,  you mute your mic when you have nothing to say. I was worried though if I muted my mic, that my coworker maybe be muted as well. Anyone have any knowledge of that?

You'd probably have to test it with your conference service provider.  Maybe your work tech support can assist?  If you use touch tones on your keypad to mute your line into the conference, then there may be issues with your co-worker, you 'conferenced' in, using touch tones on their phone into the conference.  You each should be able to turn off your microphone individually at the phone.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
Chreed96
Enthusiast - Level 1

I appreciate the thought! I'm more interested on the verizon side than the work side. I wonder if it's more daisy chain, like my coworkers voice gets added to mine and it's one voice, which hypothetically would get muted if I pressed mute. On the other hand, I wonder if verizon puts them in parallel on their side, so I could mute mine without affecting him.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Chreed96 wrote:

I appreciate the thought! I'm more interested on the verizon side than the work side. I wonder if it's more daisy chain, like my coworkers voice gets added to mine and it's one voice, which hypothetically would get muted if I pressed mute. On the other hand, I wonder if verizon puts them in parallel on their side, so I could mute mine without affecting him.

You might get a faster resolution by making test calls.  Call a friend/co-worker then have another co-worker call you to conference in with the first call.  Then have the second co-worker and you test muting your lines to see what the initial co-worker hears.  Also, if you hang up the call, if the second co-worker is disconnected from the first co-worker might provide a clue. You might get lucky if a knowledgeable Verizon agent sees this thread and answers or another customer chimes in with an experience they had matching your scenario.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Chreed96. We understand your concern regarding the conference call and we want to help in the best way. What type of service are you using for your home conference call? Has your coworker tried to conference call again?

ChristianP_VZW

0 Likes