Increased data usage even when using WiFI
amt64
Enthusiast - Level 2

My son and I both have a Galaxy Stellar phone. We share 1GB of data and our average usage is half that (and has been since last year when we got the phones).

In the last month, my usage has skyrocketed. I used over 1GB and upgraded to 2GB to avoid overage charges. With two weeks left in the billing cycle, it looks like we might even go over 2GB!

I have checked all apps and settings. I am almost always connected to my home WiFi. Yet when I check the data usage breakdown, there is data being used even while on WiFi. And more puzzling is that for the last week or so, there is usage every 6 hours, to the minute. Again, even when on WiFi.

I don't have many apps and all are set to update when on WiFi only. I don't use backup, GPS, etc.

Contacting Verizon by phone is useless - after an extensive hold, I'm told to do the steps that I've already done.

At this point, I wish I could cancel and switch to another carrier but the early termination fees are daunting.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. I understand that the Stellar is an inexpensive, older model so perhaps this is why I can't find a solution?

I would appreciate ANY help, advice, or assistance that anyone can offer. I know it's only $10 more to add another GB but that's not the point. It doesn't make sense that all of a sudden, we need 3GB of data when we've used way less than 1GB for over a year.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Increased data usage even when using WiFI
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like there's still a setting that isn't quite right.  Until you find it, since you're most always on wi-fi, have you tried turning off mobile data until needed?

amt64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply!

As you suggested, I'm going to turn off mobile data unless needed until I can figure out the issue.

It's frustrating as heck because I've checked every setting - or at least I think I have... 🙂

I'm wondering if doing a factory restore would clear it. Not an ideal solution but if it solved the problem, it would be worth it.

Thanks again for the help - I appreciate it!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Have you gone into your settings and clicked on "data usage"? This will list all of the apps using data and the amount of data used by the app. If one of the apps is unusually high, you may want to revisit the settings on that app. Sometimes when you install an upgrade for an app, something may change or a new feature may use more data than what you are accustomed to using.

Another thing you may want to try is installing Onavo Count. This app could possibly be an additional safeguard for restricting an app to only using data via wifi.

amt64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I've checked the data usage and nothing looks unusually high - making it all the more puzzling. Especially the breakdown that shows something happening every 6 hours. Weird.

I will check out the Onavo Count - thanks for the suggestion.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it's important to keep a handle on your data usage amt64. Have your usage patterns changed over the last month since this started? Do you check your wifi connection periodically to ensure it's connected? Tried more than one wifi source?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
amt64
Enthusiast - Level 2

There hasn't been any change in my usage pattern. And I do check the wifi connection to make sure it's connected. I haven't tried more than one source yet.

The most puzzling thing is the data usage that happens every 6 hours, to the minute. Even when connected to WiFi. This happened with my son's phone (same phone) when he first got it and it appeared to be due to the back up assistant. Once we turned it off, it stopped happening. But I've turned off the backup and backup assistant.

It's just really frustrating because I've changed to the 2GB plan and it looks like we'll exceed that before the cycle ends. Yet for the last year, our average data usage has been less than 1GB.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for taking those steps, amt64. We normally suggest the hard reset as a last resort when all other steps have not worked.
Do you have any free apps that run ads when they are launched? I have noticed the free apps tend to do this. If you have the paid version of the app, that save a great deal of data.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
PattiCake66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow.  I have also been enduring increased Data costs with NO change in phones or usage.  How frustrating.  I cannot wait to end my contract with Verizon.  My bill for four smart phones is 400 dollars a month.  I wonder why Verizon doesn't address this.  Is there any way to get out of our contract early.  I'll turn in my phone.  I really can't handle the bill.  It's ridiculous.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can cancel anytime, but you will have pay the Early Termination Fees if your contract isn't completed or pay the remaining balance of your Edge agreement if you have one.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes