Re: Increased data usage even when using WiFI
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Install an app called Onavo Count on your phone and let it run a few days. Then look at it and see which apps are in fact using Data and NOT wifi. It will give you an accurate counting of each app that uses data. you may need to look for an App specific setting for restricting it to Wifi

PattiCake66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh I know I can cancel early, but the termination fee is ridiculous. I just feel like I'm being fleeced.

0 Likes
PattiCake66
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will try.  I'll have to install on all the phones.  The Verizon bill and online shows this as well, so I am just looking to see if it matches?

0 Likes
amt64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm going to try the Onavo Count and see if it shows what app is mysteriously updating every 6 hours, even when on WiFi. I'm still doubtful because I've uninstalled all but two apps - both set to refresh/update/everything on WiFi only. These data charges are happening when I'm connected to WiFi and it doesn't make sense.

And it's also telling that the most useful suggestions have came from forum members and not Verizon support. It's the same thing when I call - if & when I get through - and I am told to do the same things that I already have tried... as for getting paid apps versus free apps to avoid the ads, neither of the apps I'm using have ads so I seriously doubt that is causing the sudden spike. Not to mention that I've had the apps for a year and this problem just happened.

I'm also considering a hard reset although it will be a pain because I don't use backup - and the reason for that is because when I first got the phone, it was using way too much data.

Frustrating, indeed. Unless the Onavo Count or reset solves the problem, it looks like I'll just have to wait it out until the contract ends. I am definitely not staying with Verizon if this continues...

0 Likes
amt64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Me, too!

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

My guess is it is either Backup Assistant (Cloud) or Facebook.  If you use Backup Assistant, it will update and or try to update until it thinks it has everything there is to update. If you do not use BUA, then it will still run trying to log in and will pass blank data until a valid update has occurred. Disable it if you fdo NOT use it and it cannot try to pass information.

amt64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tend to agree because when the same sort of thing happened last year on my son's phone, it was the BUA. But when I check mine, I don't have anything selected to back up. I'm going to remove the Facebook app (even though I've removed all automated stuff) to see if that resolves it. If not, I'll do the restore. It will be worth it to solve the problem.

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it.

0 Likes
MaryVFC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two questions.

1. Did your phone upgrade to kitkat recently?

2. If so, do you use bluetooth?

If the answer is yes to both, it may be the result of the update to kitkat. Many people are having this and other problems, regardless of the brand of phone.

On mine (a Razr M), if I connect to wifi I can also connect to bluetooth, but as soon as bluetooth is used, it disconnects the wifi. It will still show wifi is on in the settings, but the icon is not illuminated. The only way I can get wifi to reconnect is to turn bluetooth off.

I've done all the troubleshooting (twice) with Verizon and Motorola customer service with no results. Motorola even sent me a new phone and it too, will not stay connected to both wifi and blutooth.

Motorola did tell me that Google/Motorola are working on a fix, but could not say when it will be fixed (if ever).

vickiej57
Enthusiast - Level 1

A friend told me today that just the last month or two Facebook has changed how videos on facebook use data. Our has gone up exponentially as well. My friend said go to facebook and go to settings and then to apps and change the video to only run when clicked on. I did that on my phone today and will do it on my laptop tonight and we will see if it makes a difference. They said facebook is causing the videos to run continuously unless you go and deselect that option. Can't hurt anyway.

SCarGo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Similar prob Galaxy S3...unrelated to FB or any one app. All net-related apps were defaulting to Vz network. Data consumption skyrocketed. This was despite solid wifi reception. Solution: 1) d/loaded DataSwitch widget. It's a tap-on, tap-off switch that shuts down data use. (So...now have control back, but phone still defaults to Vz network.) 2. Went to options/wifi, deselected wifi and home wireless network. Re-entered network ID & password, turned on wifi...now it works like a charm. I use DataSwitch to keep Vz network off until an app requires it (eg, Location, etc.).