Inexoensive emergency phone
dr18

I'm currently using a cdma flip phone on a Verizon MVNO. Reception is getting poor (repurposed towers). I gather a need a phone which has Verizon VOLTE support. I see the basic volte phones are $120+.  I don't really want a smartphone, due to battery life, but are there any compatible inexpensive smartphones?

For a MVNO, I can use any Verison post-paid phone, but not Prepaid phone?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Inexoensive emergency phone
dr18

Inexpensive 🙂  There was a typo.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Smartphones start at $168.00. Smartphones - Buy The Newest Cell Phones | Verizon Wireless

Verizon Certified Unlocked Android Smartphones

Verizon Approved BYOD Apple Devices

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dr18

The certified unlocked lost will all work after the cdma shutdown? All these phones Verizon / unlocked will work on an mvno with volte? Thanks

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You would have to check the specs on the phone model to verify if it had VoLTE.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dr18

I mean - if a phone isn't VOLTE compatible, won't it not work after the CDMA turnoff?

As in LTE is data only.. voice is either 3G or VOLTE (VOIP VOICE over LTE) As such, I was expecting only VOLTE phones to be available at this point.

Furthermore, many phones are CAPABLE of VOLTE, but only on supported networks. As such, I was expecting Verizon's website to do so

EG, The Moto G5 supports VOLTE on T-Mobile, but not ATT.

Lastly, would a VOLTE phone on Verizon, work on the MVNOs, such as PagePlus.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will need to ask Page Plus about the compatibility question of whether or not a phone model will work on their service.

If the phone doesn't have VoLTE, it will not work after the CDMA network is shutdown.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dr18, I understand your concern with wanting to know what devices is compatible. Ann154, provided some great information. The best way to find out what devices are compatible would be to reach out to Page Plus. I hope this helps. 

Justin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dr18

Thanks. The problem is that the people I've spoken to seem to be clueless about VOLTE, vs using CDMA for voice, with LTE data.

0 Likes
joshjay

My Verizon MVNO offers basic smartphones for under $200 that are VoLTE compatible.   All the Verizon MVNOs I know now offer VoLTE compatible smartphones.

Probably all Verizon compatible flip phones and smartphone models released in 2018 and years prior are going to be CDMA/3G compatible.   If you notice the new Samsung S10, just released in February 2019 does not support CDMA. 

If you buy a used Verizon off contract phone that you plan to use on your MVNO as a BYOP, then the question becomes will it allow you to enable HD Voice and VoLTE without using the MyVerizon app and a Verizon post paid SIM.  This is the issue I am having with my Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S6.   It fully supports HD Voice and VoLTE, however using it with a Verizon MVNO and MVNO SIM the HD Voice and Advanced Calling features are purposely grayed out and unchangable.

0 Likes