Is data plan truly unlimited?
truelove79
Enthusiast - Level 3
I just got a new Eris. Its a bit underpowered but I love it just the same. Anyway, a friend of mine insists that the data plan has a 5GB limit and I will pay hefty over-charges if I go over that limit. However, I see no such limit mentioned anywhere in any documentation. My account detail says "unlimited" all over the place. I have told my friend this and he still insists that the 5 gig limit is there. So which is it? 5GB or unlimited?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is data plan truly unlimited?
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

truelove79 wrote:
I just got a new Eris. Its a bit underpowered but I love it just the same. Anyway, a friend of mine insists that the data plan has a 5GB limit and I will pay hefty over-charges if I go over that limit. However, I see no such limit mentioned anywhere in any documentation. My account detail says "unlimited" all over the place. I have told my friend this and he still insists that the 5 gig limit is there. So which is it? 5GB or unlimited?
The "unlimited" part of your plan is for email and, if you have it, text, picture and video messaging. That is part of the base plan. You then have to add the $30 data plan. The data plan has 5gb limit.
0 Likes
kylek14

I wouldn't imagine that there is a limit to the unlimited plan. (by the way, posted in wrong area)

But it's very possible that there is a limit.

0 Likes
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2
I come across this at least once or twice per day on this Forum. There is a BIG difference between MBB (Mobile Broadband) calling plans that HAVE a 5GB limit and our $29.99 or $44.99 smartphone/Blackberry plans... The MBB is for Laptops or for tethering and HAS a 5GB limit... The Smartphone $29.99 or Enterprise Version for $44.99 BOTH are UNLIMITED! There I said it... One has a limit the OTHER DOES NOT! >
0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

Jagger-VzW wrote:
I come across this at least once or twice per day on this Forum. There is a BIG difference between MBB (Mobile Broadband) calling plans that HAVE a 5GB limit and our $29.99 or $44.99 smartphone/Blackberry plans... The MBB is for Laptops or for tethering and HAS a 5GB limit... The Smartphone $29.99 or Enterprise Version for $44.99 BOTH are UNLIMITED! There I said it... One has a limit the OTHER DOES NOT! >
Thank you James.
0 Likes
kwjones
Enthusiast - Level 2

i brought my daughter an Eris and she been youtubing it to death.  I was curious to see how much data she uses and I was shock to see within a month she used 7gig.  i barely do 100 meg with my blackberry with all the email i get.  That $30 unlimited plan worksw for me.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Chris1051

I just got an HTC Incredible on the 27th of April and have been loving it. I checked my usage through the "My Verizon" app and it said I used 2692701.12 KB (who the hell uses KB as a measurement????) of data for this period. Its coming up to the end of the month, I was worried about getting a HUGE bill, because of this cap. Thats so far 2.56 GB, I dont even you tube I just get some audio podcasts, post to flickr, twitter etc. 

I know its been said before but Am I safe as long as I only use the phone for the data? 

And  also, the minute I start tethering, is it going to freak out and say I am over? I don't know why someone said 5GB was a lot for a month but really- it isnt. I am old, but not that old (34) And I figure if you are going to buy one of these devices you should be able to use it with no limits. 

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

though the plan is truly unlimited, you can count on the fact that verizon is looking at your account to look for signs of tethering if you come close to 5GB in a month. if they do not see signs of third party tethering software, which they won't unless you use one, you are fine, since the plan is unlimited. if you tether through proper channels, your data starts where you already are and are still capped at 5GB.

0 Likes
jasee
I'm glad I have a "grandfather'ed" unlimited plan with my MiFi! That would suck.
0 Likes
Brian22601

Verizon has been using an "*" after the word "Unlimited" for many years.  Still don't know how they get away with it and beat "fair advertising" laws -- but that's another thread.

Key to success when upgrading any phone to a "smart phone" is research and careful reading of the "terms and agreement" in your "new 2 year contract".  They have lawyers slicker than Owl {word filter avoidance} on a door knob when they advertise and write terms for contracts.

I have been taught by Verizon that "Unlimited * " has a meaning that will eventually show up in your billing and is likely to make you seek out a new wireless service provider.

Beware and read carefully.

0 Likes