Is the Nexus 5X by LG that is being sold by the Google Play store on the Verizon approved IMEI database? If I buy and unlocked phone today will it work with Verizon?
Carter73109
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am interested in getting the new unlocked Nexus 5X from the Google Play Store and want to know:

Is the Nexus 5X by LG that is being sold by the Google Play store on the Verizon approved IMEI database? If I buy and unlocked phone today will it work with Verizon correctly?

I have called into Verizon customer support got a slightly different answer each time. 

Labels (1)
Re: Is the Nexus 5X by LG that is being sold by the Google Play store on the Verizon approved IMEI database? If I buy and unlocked phone today will it work with Verizon?
Opusnbill7
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not yet on the approved IMEI database.  I hope soon, but who knows...

However, if you either have a working nano sim on your line, or you can have them do a "sim only activation" on your line for a new nano sim, it will work *mostly* fine.  I have had no issues other than video calling is currently disabled and I cannot remove the block to enable it.  I've been told by tier 2 that it is due to the IMEI not being on the "approved" list yet.

Of course, she didn't even know what the Nexus was or that it would work at all, so take that with a grain of salt...

Re: Is the Nexus 5X by LG that is being sold by the Google Play store on the Verizon approved IMEI database? If I buy and unlocked phone today will it work with Verizon?
Timebomb606

I just purchased a Nexus 5x and tried to activate a NEW sim from the VZW Corporate store and was having trouble. Talked to about 10 different tech reps last night and was told it wont work, but no one could/would give me a reason. So I used the live chat on their website this morning and a rep also said it wont work. I asked him if he could active the sim card only. He said "Ill try" and then told me to reboot phone. Was working perfectly.

TL;DR - VZW CAN AND WILL ACTIVATE THE DEVICE, JUST NEED TO BE PERSISTANT IN GETTING IT DONE.

p.s. I have PREPAID service, activated right now and working perfectly. Keep trying kids!

0 Likes
tay757
Enthusiast - Level 2

walk in the store...make sure you can locate the imei on the phone. when you get the nano card at Verizon ask them to activate it locally and are phone will be up an running in 5 minutes. I got my mines activate yesterday.

0 Likes
tay757
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the nexus 6p.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I have the 5X and moved the SIM card from a Verizon activated iPhone 6 to it and it worked fine.

dbbl

Same here.  Walked into the store.  They put in a SIM card.  It works.

0 Likes
DsimScout
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got back from a Verizon store and they wouldnt do anything for me.  They said that the card had to leave in a phone, but they couldnt activate my 5x because the card HAS to be tied to the phone.  So now I have 2 5x's with no way to activate.  They are replacing LG G2's which use micro sim cards (tried one of those nano card punch deals and it didnt work) so not sure what to do there.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Switch between phones often and bought a SIM card adapter and cutter. 

IF one store can't figure it out, try a different store.  Get the SIM cards activated in your old phones and move them over.

If you are going to buy outside of your carrier, you have to get self reliant about this stuff.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You could try another store to have them activate it, calling into CS to have them activate it or try activating it yourself in your MyVerizon account.