Issues with Wifi Calling; drops call after a few minutes??
robertredd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same issue.  It happens on my wife's Galaxy S8+ and it happens on my new Note 9.  I'm really thinking it's something with the router in my home.  Just in case it's the same as yours I have a Linksys EA7300.  Firmware is up to date also.

I have very bad cell reception in my home so it always connects to calls over wifi and I can see that due to the wifi icon on the calls and call history screen.  It all sounds great until it just suddenly drops the call a few minutes in and then if I try to call the person back right away it won't even try to ring.  I have to then turn off my phone's wifi in order to get a call through.  After some time re-enabling the wifi lets it work some of the time again.

In addition, I do have fast 100MB/s + speeds and it's a very strong wifi signal in my home.

I'm thinking it's a port forwarding or blocking issue perhaps.

Labels (1)
Re: Issues with Wifi Calling; drops call after a few minutes??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

robertredd,

Wi-Fi calling is something that we want all customers to take full advantage of, and I'd like to make sure we are able to see you with a resolution.

What troubleshooting steps have you completed? Have you had an opportunity to test either of your devices on a different router to determine whether this is a router issue? Please keep us posted with your results.

Colin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
robertredd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've restarted the cable modem and wireless router a few times.  I've also made sure the router had latest firmware updates.  My wife and I have separate verizon accounts since mine is through my work and this effects both of our phones.  I called support a few weeks ago and they reset my wife's wifi calling and I then set it up again on her phone.  Same result.

Sometimes, if I turn the wifi off/on on either of our phones it seems like then the wifi calling may work.  But, it's not consistent.  The only way to immediately call the person back once dropped is to just turn off the phone's wifi otherwise the call won't even ring through.  Although, off of wifi, the quality is poor since we have only one bar of 4G reception in the house and it drops if you move around. 

It sounds crystal clear when it's on wifi up until the call drops which is usually about 2 mins into the call.

- Robert

0 Likes
robertredd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have another router to test on.  I can say that the internet is solid, though.  My kids will be on the XBox and another playing Fortnite on the PC while this is happening and they have no issues at all.

I really do wonder if it's a port forwarding issue or something on the router.  It just seems so odd that'd it would work so well for a few minutes and then just drop.

0 Likes
simsd3411

I have the same issues, since switching from AT&T to Verizon. Worked great under same Home network with AT&T, but now cannot coplete a call under Verizon...especially with my company verizon phone I was forced to switch from my company (if it does not get resolved, I will need to switch back to AT&T, as it is currently unusabl;e from home). This needs a solution ASAP. Actually been dealing with this for month, but now had issues speaking with my manager the other day. My wife also has an Xfinity Phone which uses the Verizon network and having same issues. Her Moto E5 plus didn't have an issues though. Since switching to Samsung S8, her problems began. I also use a Samsung S9...basically the same phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be sad if you left the family Simsd3411. I am a consumer myself so I understand how we can rely on WiFi Calling to work especially if you conduct business with the device. A month is way too long to have to deal with this issue. I do apologize that it is not working for you. I am sure I can help get this fixed for you. Are you dropping every phone call when using WiFi Calling? Are you connected to a strong WiFi? Please tell me more.  AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
simsd3411

I have Xfinity with xFi Pods for strong connectivity through my house. However, my offlice is located in the same room as the main WiFi router, so my connection is alway high and connected to the main router. I have the highest residential speeds available at 500/15 Download/upload, so bandwidth is also not an issue.  I am currently forwarding my verizon business line to another phone while I'm at home as a temp solution.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for those details. Let's look further into this for you. Please meet us in a Private Note for assistance.AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes
haloforever
Enthusiast - Level 1

so no public rememdy for other Samsung S8, S8+, S9, S10+ users that cant keep a call going on wifi

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

haloforever

We don't want this to be an ongoing issue. Sorry for this inconvenience. Do you notice that you drop Wi-Fi calls when connected to a certain Wi-Fi connection or when connected to any Wi-Fi connection? Does this happen when calling certain phone numbers or all phone numbers? 

LasinaJ_VZW

0 Likes