.JPG vs .jpg attached to a text message.
BJProPhoto

Why can't a photo with extension .JPG (upper case) be attached to a MMS text message?  If you change the extension to lower case it works fine.  I've tried it with the Lollipop default Messages app and the Verizon Messages+ app. 

The problem here is that Nikon's Wireless Mobile Utility send pics from camera to smartphone as .JPG  Nikon says "Not our problem because it can be viewed in Gallery and attached to an email", and changing the case of extension of the file in the phone is a pain. 

Who should fix this Nikon, Google, or the message app developer?  Can Verizon provide a reasonable work around?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: .JPG vs .jpg attached to a text message.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
BjProPhoto,

This is definitely odd, but we're here to help get this figured out. When you attempt to send the file as an MMS do you receive any specific error messages? Also, do you know the size of the file that you are attempting to send? There would be limitations of how large a file can be to send over MMS, so we'll want to check. That can be found by pressing and holding the image and choosing details. Keep us posted!

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I didn't think that would matter, it shouldn't be case sensitive.  Like Adam said, it may be a size issue, but have you tried using a file explorer to change the extension?  If that works for you (I know, a pain in the butt), it is a workaround, and will definitely point to be an upper/lower case issue.

0 Likes
BJProPhoto

Hi thanks for your reply,,,  Yes the message is "Unsupported Picture Format please select a different picture".  Also if I change the name using the "My Files" app in Android by adding .jpg to the name the file ends up being named XXXXXX.jpg.JPG  believe it or not this double extension file will attach and will send and can be received.  It is a workaround but an extra step.

I'm starting to wonder if this is a part of the MMS protocol.  Can anyone send a JPEG file with the upper case .JPG extension?   If not, then I can pass this on to Nikon who is now finally looking into this after my persistence.

Thanks for you replys

0 Likes
dgh1981
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having the same exact issue. I transferred pictures from my Nikon D3300 with the Nikon Wireless mobile utility. When I try to use Messages+ to mms a picture to someone it says unsupported media format. I used a file explorer to change the extention from uppercase JPG to lowercase jpg and it works fine.

0 Likes