Kitkat 4.4.2 new problem: download unsuccessful!
jrichview2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently got system update on Galaxy S4 (32 Gig with 64 gig SD) which puts me on ver 4.4.2.  Since then Dolphin Browser can no longer successfully download a file from anywhere.  Starts and quickly goes to "Download unsuccessful".  It thinks there is no space in the downloads folder in the device memory despite having many gigs free.

Also, I am unable to change the default download folder to a path on the SD card. It cannot access it. 

I have tried reformatting my SD card, I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the browser app, clearing cache, etc.  Boy am I glad I accepted the system update.

Chrome browser also has issues with downloads failing on a regular basis.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Kitkat 4.4.2 new problem: download unsuccessful!
Skyke101
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like you got screwed by Verizon just like everyone else that has an S4. The Kit kat update seriously hampers the phones reception. I and 3 guys that I work with used to get great reception on our S4 phones while we were at work, which is 40 miles west of Phoenix. Then, as soon as we got the Kit Kat update, all of a sudden we cant even send a text message! Nor can we get on the internet! It's a compatibility issue that Verizon won't admit to, they say to just turn your phone off, pull out the SIM card, put it back in and then turn it on again. It actually works, for about two texts, then it goes back to having no reception at all. Must be because some background program that conflicts with Verizon's version of Kit Kat finally boots up, creates the conflict and then boom, no reception. Another guy that sits right next to me at work just got an S5, and he gets the excellent reception that we S4 users used to get before we got the Kit Kat update. Maybe it's a Verizon scam to try and force S4 users to upgrade to the S5? And it's not just us at work 40 miles West of Phoenix. My wife also has an S4, and she works in town and she says her recepetion has gotten alot worse too once the update was applied.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Why is it that everyone blames Verizon or the other cell carriers every time a system update is pushed out to a device?

It is a Google (who makes the OS) and the maker of the device in this case Samsung. Your complaints should go to the manufacturer and not the cell carrier. Verizon does not make the devices or the operating systems.

There are people who buy a device which works perfectly, and then find out there is going to be a device OS update to Pumpkin Pie or some other strange name and immediately start crying "Verizon where is my update" then bingo Verizon gets the update from the device maker and pushes it out, then all the complaints come in saying my device doesn't do this or that or its a conspiracy to make you buy a new device.

Take the faulty update with the company that makes your phone.

Verizon did not make it Samsung did. Verizon cannot fix it only the manufacturer can.

Verizon makes nothing but money to give you access to the cellular and data network. Nothing else.

Like Walmart or Best Buy they also are a retailer to sell devices.

You don't complain to Walmart when the OS update bricks your device.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Skyke101
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon ia who I make the check out to. They should not sell me something that I use everyday, then say they are going to make it better but actually make it far worse by forcing me to update. They should have tested it thoroughally before pushing it out to millions of people. Trust me, there will be a class action lawsuit, Veriizon is reaping the millions and millions from people that are now in a bind because the phones that they used to rely on no longer work like they used to before the update.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I pay my gas and electric bill to my power company, but I don't blame them when my toaster dies.

Just because they provide the electricity does not make them liable for the toaster dying.

Verizon gives you access to the cellular and data network. You write the check to them for service, not for product. Because Verizon sells devices does not mean they are responsible for how they work. That is between you and the maker of the device. They act as agent for warranty services. Something you don't get with Best Buy or Walmarts who after 15 days state you deal with the maker of the device.

Analysis: Big business the winner in U.S. Supreme Court class action cases| Reuters

No class actions are allowed per the US Supreme Court Decision.

Good Luck

0 Likes
MakeItRains

The problem is Verizon is greedy and they have to have their hands in everything.  I do not want Verizon dictating when I receive an Android update.  They put all their useless apps on the phones that I have never even bothered with and say they need "tweak" the update to solve problems and it's just a joke.  I bought a Samsung phone and I want to get my update from Samsung.  I like Samsung Kies and you used to be able to get your update from there as soon as it was released and I never had any issues.  I buy my phone from Samsung and all I want from Verizon is service end of story.  We are way past caring about your stupid coverage map you cram down our throats.  All the carriers have great signal where I live so it doesn't matter.  Verizon needs to get their updates out faster because that's what matters now.....

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

No the real problem here is a forked road.

First you have the Manufacturers that take the Google OS and modify them to their products.  It is up to the Manufacturer to completely test the update on the devices they are planning on pushing it to. If you have good testing you get a good end result. If you have bad testing you get bad results.

After this the Manufacturers have the Verizon requirements they need to meet as well.  Disable certain functionality, add these bloat programs, etc..... Then it is still up to the Manufacturer to test that end result that they will deliver to Verizon.

When Verizon gets the update, they are told it passes Samsungs testing. Verizon will check for certain things.  Is this functionality turned off, are these Bloat Apps present etc... if that sub set verification is passed then Verizon pushes it to the end users but relying on the manufacturers testing to make sure it works correctly.

Unfortunately the update not working well on your phones can only be pointed to Samsung, their developers, their testing and their not doing their due diligence to make sure the product they push out is perfect or near perfect.

Not applicable

I agree the OS updates should come from the makers of the devices. Just Like Apple does.

However all carriers have crap ware placed on the devices. Verizon is just being the way every other company does business.

The problem is customers are either 1) Where is my update I want it now and do it. or 2) I didn't ask for this update I cannot use my device any longer and it updated its self.

You see you cannot please everyone.

And Yes Verizon should only provide service to the cellular and data network, Period. I also agree! If that was the case then this forum would be lonely.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I do agree and if Verizon would allow the Manufacturers to handle the updates (as they do with Apple) the updates would go some much smoother. You would still have the Where is it and I didn't ask for it. In a perfect world though the Manufacturers would make the updates and the user could choose to install it or not without being hounded every couple of hours to install before it finally installs automatically.

Not applicable

Absolutely correct. But it would be lonely here on the forum. Without all the "Updates caused my phone to turn off and on, screen goes dark, my WiFi is stuck, my data increased, my battery is dying, my speaker does not work,my mute button does not function, my email is non functional, my music is missing, my contacts are missing, the phone is dialing its self, I cannot download apps etc.

0 Likes