Kitkat 4.4.4 on Note 3 Wont display photos
Billfleming2

Hi All, I just got my update for Kitkat 4.4.4 on my Note 3. Now when I go into the gallery there are no thumbnails, and any photo I select it says "Unable to Load photo"

If I select a video, I can then select MXPlayer and the video will play, but still no thumbnails.

The pics are still there, (I checked the folders) but since the upgrade I can disply them on my phone..In fact any new pics do the same thing..Unable to load photo.

Anyone have any idea here?

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Kitkat 4.4.4 on Note 3 Wont display photos
Tidbits
Legend

Did you try clearing gallery data through settings apps manager?  Don't worry it will not delete photos and videos if you do this.

0 Likes
Billfleming2

I did what you said...but still no thumbnails or way to see the photos. I have cleared all defaults...just weird...Any other ideas?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Not clear defaults. Clear data.

The cache you have may be corrupted since the update. The icon you are seeing should be a picture with a lightning bolt correct? The way I fixed that was by clearing data and let the gallery recompile the thumbnails.

0 Likes
Billfleming2

I tried clear data, clear cache..No luck, and then decided to Clear defaults as if there could be some default that displays the thumbs and pics themselves..no luck...

0 Likes
don1713

My wife's note 3 is having the same issue after updating to 4.4.4. The gallery app shows all the album and picture layouts but they are all grey, no actual images and she gets the same message "Unable to load photo". The same thing when taking a new picture - grey placeholder with the "unable to load photo" when selected.  When I go into appmanager I can clear data but it is not allowing me to clear cache - the button is enabled but the cache isn't cleared when I click it. I have cleared these in the gallery app but it makes no difference. She does not have an SD card, all photos are stored on the device.

Couple of interesting things - this is only with the default camera app and gallery. I downloaded the google camera and it shows some (not all) of the existing pictures that should be in the gallery, pictures I take with the google camera show up fine when viewing photos in this camera app. She also has camerazoom installed and all the pictures taken with it show fine in the camerazoom app. Nothing shows properly in the gallery app, even downloaded pics or screenshots taken with the phone. I tried connecting her phone to a pc to see if Kies would back up the photos properly or if I could just copy them directly but her phone is ignoring the connection - no prompts, no dings, no notification, no recognition of the device. It does vibrate once because it is charging from the connection.

One more thing - her device had encryption enabled before the update. Maybe it has something to do with this? I do not have it enabled on my Note 3 and I had no issues with the update.

0 Likes
Billfleming2

Ok Don, I think you are on to something here...My phone is also encrypted..and your description fits mine exactly.

I got agravated at the upgrade and knowing my pics were there but I couldnt look at them..So I backed them all up with Kies and then did a full reset to 4.4.4. This solved the issue completely..I think you are spot on with the cache too..

I am a little bummed at how little has changed from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4. I was in BestBuy looking at the Note 4 (with 4.4.4) and there were some real differences. So I looked up what you are supposed to get with 4.4.4 and I dont see most of what they say it has...e.g. The Phone and Contacts apps look very different on Note 4...Maybe its a hardware thing, or maybe it didnt fully update..either way it wa not worth the agravation in my opinion..

Did you notice differences when you updated?

0 Likes
don1713

First thing I tried was to connect to my laptop to pull them off manually or through kies but the phone isn't being recognized by the computer (and the phone itself isn't showing the usb icon in the notification bar, but it is charging ...)  so right now that isn't an option for me. The laptop works fine connecting to my phone but that doesn't help me Smiley Happy

I wasn't expecting anything grand from the update as I'd been following what it was supposed to address. I was hoping for better cell signal, better wifi connectivity, and better battery life but to be honest I haven't noticed any of those. With the Note 4 I think it has an updated touchwiz which is why it looks a little different.

0 Likes
don1713

If anyone else runs into this problem I was able to get access back to my gallery and photos. What I suspected was indeed the problem - encrypted phone - so I decrypted it as a last resort and that cleared up the issue. Once I backed everything up I performed a factory reset just to start from scratch and clean the phone up.

0 Likes