Re: Kyocera Brigadier Display breaks down roughly once a week. Only a Factory Data reset can repair it.
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Wes, have you had any reply on the ROM flash at all? Kyocera makes a tough phone.. but they need more work on software issues.

0 Likes
Re: Kyocera Brigadier Display breaks down roughly once a week. Only a Factory Data reset can repair it.
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello GalaxyClass! Nothing yet past the standard form letter. That came almost right away. I'm still waiting for actual information from them regarding this problem.

I am hoping they are going to release an update soon. Surely they must be aware of this by now.  I am curious to know if there are Kyocera Brigadier phones out there that do not have this issue.  I suppose there must be some people who don't want to use a lock screen so they wouldn't see the problem but that doesn't really count. Their phone would indeed have the problem but they just wouldn't see it.

If all of the Brigadier phones do this with this version of the software, how did it get past alpha and beta testing? Just a thought....I mean, wouldn't they have testers using the phone for at least 2 weeks which would be time enough to see the problem appear? Just a thought. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
KCandME

I have the same problem with my Brigadier.

It's very disturbing when the 'cute perky ones' at the verizon store tell me that there is nothing wrong with my phone and there is nothing they can do anyway.

Another problem I had with this phone is that the kyocera 'driver software' or whatever it installs on the computer when you hook it up to the computer with the usb, made changes to my computer;

There was the syswow page incident, which took forever to find and correct.

Then there was the svchost.exe incident...

And the best one was the changing of a server setting which made my little laptop behave like some sort of node or something. Data use went haywire and I had an accrual of GB data use that was going to cost me $250 for one month. 27GB of data and the month wasn't even over. My normal usage is in the 4- 5 GB range.

This phone ha been a NIGHTMARE!

0 Likes
nak500

Worst EXPERIENCE EVER!!!

Within a week this happened & my buttons started failing--I figured software (same issue as listed) & simple hardware fix.  After being rerouted to Kyocera in error by my Verizon store, I just got my phone back after a month of waiting.  Through-out Kyocera had no idea what was going on in their repair center, avoided my questions; corporate would ignore all messages; finally after 20 days someone told me the Customer Service department was told they were waiting on parts from Japan; repair center was saying it was a bad screen; no one knew where it actually was & when it would be sent.  20 actual hours of phone time with Kyocera CS.  Received it yesterday & same day CS had said they still didn't know.  Website says same.  The phone came loose in an over-sided box with two thin pieces of foam; thing was rattling around.  Kyocera told me Verizon; Verizon dealer told me Kyocera; Verizon CS said tough.  This was ridiculous & phone is still having all the same problems!  Had the phone in working condition & in-hand for less than 10 days of the first two months owning it; in-hand at all maybe a month.  Verizon needs to get on this issue as Kyocera isn't.  This tough phone is shaping up to be a tough brick until we get a root or Verizon steps in.  Verizon only model?  Common Verizon & step up to the plate!  These software issues are YOUR problem as a buyer & supporter of these units!!!  Why are we getting punished for upgrading?  Paying?  Fail.

0 Likes
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

An update finally came out today! I'm not sure yet of it will fix the display problems but I've been lucky I think....no more display screwups since the last time I mentioned above in October.

Regardless, at least Kyocera had released an update. I hope everyone ends up with an awesome working phone.

0 Likes
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just an FYI.

I can't say if the display not waking problem was fixed with update just yet because it is too new; however, I was able to test something and I am hopeful as a result.

I used to be able to cause the "glitch" by connecting my Sony 32GB Microvault flash drive to the phone and copying large amounts of data to and from the phone and flash drive. Yesterday, after I restarted the phone a couple of times once the update was complete, I tried to force the glitch. I moved over 20+ GB worth of audiobooks to and from the phone with no problems at all.

I'm holding my breath for now but it seems to have worked. <grin>  I hope this is the end of the problem.

Good Luck everyone!

Tadao93111

I think I have similar problem but more serious. I just received the phone yesterday. Today, screen became all black with the back light on. I can't shut off the device with holding the power switch. I also tried holding power, then holding volume minus. I saw the dead android, with menu. All choices didn't work. Bad thing about this phone is I can't remove the battery. I will receive a replacement phone tomorrow, but reading this thread, I am inclined to change to other manufacturer's phone. Is there any way to force shut down this phone???

0 Likes
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, sorry for the delay in responding but the forum notifications don't seem to work for me properly. I have to actually login and check for anything new. Either the forums flood my email with every single post made each day in the entire Forum or I have to turn off notification.

Either way, this update they finally released on 12/11/2014 fixed my display problem. The phone now works 100%

Your question Tadao93111, you have to hold the Power button for at least 15 seconds I think it is.  That will force the shutdown.  It sounds like you got a phone that still had the old firmware?

Since you probably have the replacement by now, I'd recommend checking the phone's software version to make sure you don't have the old buggy firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone and look for Software version.  Make sure it is the 1.723VZ and not 1.102VZ.

If you have the 1.102VZ version then you should update it. That is the old version that screws up the display roughly once a week. Go to Settings and at the very bottom select System updates. The update will take a little while so make sure to plug in the charger.

I hope this helps.

--Wesley

p.s. The new update really seems to have helped my Bluetooth range and battery drain as well as the voice call quality. The call quality could still be better but it isn't as overly sensitive as it was. I keep forgetting to test it in the car, mainly because it is so cold lately (0 F recently and 9 F today) but before you couldn't really have a phone conversation if the windows were rolled down. The phone would pick up all the wind noise and although I could still hear the other person, they had a lot of trouble hearing me. That is the true test I think....

0 Likes
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

GalaxyClass wrote:

glad your up and running again, & here is Kyocera tech link if needed. I would be looking for some possible updates for lock problem and maybe even new flash firmware down the road. But first shoot them off an e mail about your little bug, they may have a fix.   http://www.contacthelp.com/Kyocera/customer-service

This was the best answer, looking back on the problem now that is is finally fixed.  Thanks GalaxyClass and thanks for everyone's input and help. Take Care and have a great year! Enjoy the Brigadier! 🙂

--Wesley