LG Ally battery challenge
dph

My LG Ally battery drains to zero in less than a day.  I have the GPS, wi-fi, etc. turned off and only use as phone and internet.  I find applications launched automatically, e.g., Corporate Calendar, Clock, Voice Search (and many others) and routinely kill them with Advanced Task Killer.  I would like to prevent the applications from automatically launching.  Can anybody suggest how I do that?  I have also not had any luck in simply removing applications, i.e., dragging them to the garbage bucket doesn't seem to do it.  I would like to get rid of things like City ID, but everything I try doesn't work.  So far, the score is phone 15 and me 0.  THanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Ally battery challenge
irodenbough
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can set up an autokill using the Advanced Task Killer, but I am unaware of another way to do it. As far as apps like City ID they are part of the software update and the only way to remove them would be to root your phone which could cause damage to the phone software and void your warranty. I have had difficulty with the battery since the last software update. It is frustrating but hopefully when the update to froyo is released this will also fix the problem. The update seemed to cause a software glitch with the battery control.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
irodenbough
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can set up an autokill using the Advanced Task Killer, but I am unaware of another way to do it. As far as apps like City ID they are part of the software update and the only way to remove them would be to root your phone which could cause damage to the phone software and void your warranty. I have had difficulty with the battery since the last software update. It is frustrating but hopefully when the update to froyo is released this will also fix the problem. The update seemed to cause a software glitch with the battery control.

0 Likes
dph

Great information.  Thank you for taking the time to help me.

0 Likes
Cataclysm
Contributor - Level 1

Look under Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, Then click on the application you want to delete. Be careful though Some items are needed to use the OS and phone right. But as far as City ID it is just an application like VZNav.

0 Likes
dph

Hello:

That's one of the first things I tried to do.  However, only the applications I have downloaded are listed.  All the applications that came on the phone, e.g., City ID, are not listed and therefore can't be deleted via this process.  It seems like those applications should be there, so I will call for tech assist when I get some time.

Thank you.

dph

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any apps that came preloaded on your phone cannot be deleted.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bvibert

You can view all the Apps installed on the phone instead of just the ones you downloaded by selecting Menu>Filter>All from the Manage Applications screen.  However, you still won't be able to uninstall apps that were installed as part of the system, so this doesn't really help you at all I suppose.

0 Likes
dph

Thank you for the information.  At least it is nice to see all the applications they loaded on my phone, even if I can't delete them.  Your time to reply is appreciated.

0 Likes
DukeArchon

You can remove the Verizon apps by just rooting your phone.  With the Ally, it's a one-click job to root it, and in the App Market there are apps to manage the "System Apps", like City ID and the like (I had to get rid of CityID, stupid Nagware).

{edit for TOS violation}

0 Likes
normS

With the phone on, remove the battery. Wait a few seconds and reinstall. I did that to fix the problem of no text notification and my battery now lasts longer.

0 Likes