LG Ally will not text after 2.2 update
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

First off, Verizon is not up here in Anchorage.  However my phone uses an affiliate (extended network) who has pretty good 3G service.  I got the 2.2 update pushed to my phone when I was working on WIFI (it probably wouldn't have done so over the air due to me being on ACS's system).  It seems everything works except:

I can not text.  Immediately after I restart my phone, I get any text messages that have been sent to me.  But I can not send or receive any until I restart again.  Everything else seems to work fine.  I cannot just dial *228, as i would be directed to Alaska Communication Systems.  If I listen to ACS prompts, it tells me to dial *611 to get to my home carrier.  If I do that, I get verizon menus, but when I select the option to reprogram my phone, it tells me to dial *228.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Ally will not text after 2.2 update
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
It sounds to me like you might have a task killer killing off either the messaging app, or some service required to receive your messages. That is probably why you receive them all when you restart your phone. What I don't understand, if this is the case, is why it doesn't work when you open up the messaging app.
0 Likes
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually I take that back about receiving them, I can receive but I just can't send.  I do have the advanced task killer but i dont use it before I try to text.  I'm considering a factory reset but I know that will be a hassle.  How should I backup my apps before I do that?  And with my luck the phone may need programming after that to function at all (which seems impossible at this point)

0 Likes
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

One thing I notice when it trys to send: Before the 2.2 update, I think the 3G icon changed to 1X for a brief moment.  Even if I had a message that failed, it would show 1X while attempting to send.  Now it does not do that.  Almost like the phone forgot how to send.  Do others who have the 2.2 update working correctly still notice if the 3G icon briefly flashes to 1X?

0 Likes
DJS727

My Ally had the same problem after the 2.2 update. I was able to receive texts, but when I sent them it would say "Sending..." and never send. I shut off the phone, removed the battery for a minute...(I know, it sounds cliche) But I turned the phone back on and Im able to send a receive now.

The only thing I do not like is how much space the text messages take up on the screen! Everything is so big, I liked it when the text was smaller and the background was black.

0 Likes
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I did the same thing.  Shut it down, took battery out, waited several minutes.  Didn't shut it down, took battery out, waited several minutes.  No luck either way.  Tried downloading 3rd party text messaging.  Still no luck sending.  They all fail

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I fear you may need to reprogram your phone *228 option 1, but that it going to be difficult in Alaska

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Seems you are talking about SMS?  That doesn't use 3G which is why it should briefly flash to 1x.    So Wi-Fi shouldn't make any difference, but since you have it, can you send MMS on that?  Or 3G?

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Can you check and see if there is a data cache in the messaging app that you are using, clear that, and retry?  There may be a conflict in there?

0 Likes
DJS727

Go into your "Running Applications" and make sure the "Google Messaging Service" is running...if it is not...that would be your problem.

0 Likes