Re: LG Ally will not text after 2.2 update
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know sms does not work through wifi.  before the update i could send sms through the extended network affiliate here.  I tried and actually I can send MMS with WIFI on and off, but SMS (obviously it needs a tower to work) does not work.  Google messaging service is running.... will look at cache and get back to you on that

0 Likes
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

i am only using the default messaging app for the lg ally.  As far as clearing the data cache, would that just be a matter of deleting all threads?  Trying to find further options with the app or in general settings but no luck thus far. 

0 Likes
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Cleared the Cache, then restarted and removed battery for 2+ min.  No luck.  Should be flashing to 1X and is not.  Unfortunately I think this is a phone programming issue and I don't think there's anything that can be done without calling customer service and having them do something

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Yea, may be phone or may be network.  Voice is working okay?  Even if it is doesn't mean it's not the network, I don't think, as I read the sms uses a paging channel.  If MMS is working though, I don't see how it could be the phone if everything else on the phone is okay (you can use voice, you can use data).  

0 Likes
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah everything else is ok.  Data, making and receiving calls, etc.  Can use google talk, etc.  Just the danged archaic sms doesn't want to send out

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

I'm looking at various forums (androidforums) which you can research and have not seen problem reported yet.(also check LG forums)  Can you be fairly sure it happened with the update (to rule out the network).  Also, download handcent or other app to test them.  Also, you may see a poster on here and on LG forums named LG_Pro; he is probably an LG employee and has helped a lot of people.  /fingers crossed.

0 Likes
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

You probably would not see it reported in many other places because there are probably very few LG Allys in Alaska, since Verizon technically is not here.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

I got back on because i saw you already tried other apps.  I see your most recent post..  That won't matter if the problem is the phone or the update. Funny, I just googled the problem and got your post, lol.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Here's a thread but didn't look lick much of a problem and it is before 2.2.  anyway hope it helps.

http://androidforums.com/lg-ally/207015-lg-ally-messeging-issues-verizon-android-platform.html

0 Likes
AndrewR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your help Steve.  I'm beginning to think it's not an update problem either.  Probably has to do with something getting reset and it not having its own network to connect to/sync with or whatever.

I had an older verizon phone I needed to activate while up here in Alaska about a year ago (not a smart phone) and had to have the Verizon CSR walk me through pushing all sorts of number combinations to get it to work.  And even then the phone would not work with data.  The lady told me I had to be in the continguous 48 states and dial *228 to reprogram.  And that there was no other way.  I had to go 4+ months with no internet on my phone.  Now I guess I'll have to go several months with no way to send SMS (until I'm back down visiting family and can dial *228).

Or perhaps I should just ditch Verizon and go with a company that's actually here and can help me. 

0 Likes