Re: LG Ally?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

TheGreatOne wrote:

SuzyQ I really don't picture you as an android user at all. Not even a blackberry person. More like a....Env3 type of person. Maybe because you rarely  ever post messages in the android sections....Plus in another post you mentioned that you were considering a Bold phone. I say get that phone or another type of BB phone. 

Perception and reality are often at odds......but this thread is veering off topic....it was originally about the Ally, which looks interesting if only because it is so similar in appeance to my current phone.   The Android OS could be fun!

0 Likes
CelticWarrior

I used my annual upgrade to get the Ally early last month. Loved it at first, but after about two weeks I slowly grew to hate it. The touchscreen became more and more unresponsive, the device would freeze/reboot at the most inopportune times, and, strangest of all, it wouldn't stay off after I turned it off and plugged the charger in! (Yes, it would turn back on automatically upon the charger being plugged into the wall. Thought mine was just possessed at first, but in speaking to a very friendly Verizon customer service rep it was confirmed that this is a universal issue with the Ally.)

So late last month, I used my one exchange in the first 30-days to trade up to the Droid Incredible. Have had it for a week now and absolutely LOVE it. All the problems I had with my Ally? Nonexistent here. And that, if you ask me, was well worth the amount I had to pay to get it. (Which will only be about $150 after I get my $100 rebate card and the $50 I paid for the Ally I returned gets credited back to my account.) I was skiddish at first about not having a physical QWERTY keyboard because I text/browse a lot and they certainly help (and also because I had a TERRIBLE experience with an all-touch phone I had as an AT&T customer, the LG Vu), but I adapted to the all-touch interface quicker than I thought I would. The predictive text/spelling correction feature on the Incredible is great and has helped me a lot. So far, the device is living up to its name.

I thought about getting a Blackberry Bold or Palm Pre Plus, but having heard so many great things about the Android platform I decided to take a chance. Very glad I did. :smileyhappy:  As far as the Ally goes, I'm probably biased due to my bad experience, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But perhaps you will have better luck than I did in the event you do choose it. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide on!

0 Likes
sallie50

I am over 70 and enjoying my first smartypants phone. Tried Blackberry first, but could not handle the tiny keys, and returned it after a week. Ally keyboard is much better. Had to attend 2 free tutorials to gain confidence and get started on experimenting on my own.

Many good free apps   -- too many. Love reading free ebooks from Aldiko, news on TIME, USA Today, and NPR. Discovered I have an addictive personality, having downloaded several word games, including one similar to SCRABBLE that finds opponents to play against. Here I am at midnite waiting for my opponent to respond. Maybe I need 3 or 4 more opponents.

My complaint is the same as that of others -- battery runs down after several hours. Probably because of all the free apps running. Also, often frustrating,  my touch does not always connect. Service says I need to warm my hands.
Doesn't help much.

0 Likes
tfch8184

Spend the extra money and get a better phone. I seriously HATE my Ally with a passion since this new update ruined what was a perfectly good phone. If I could go back I would get the Incredible, Droid or Droid 2 probably even the Droid X. Im so disappointed in this phone and the lack of service there is to fix what is wrong with it Im slowly losing my faith in Verizon....

Is it July yet because I really am ready to get rid of this phone and Ive only had it since August!

0 Likes
madmax4tex

don't get one they are crap!!!!  Touch screen very poor and locks up to the point you have to pull the battery out to reboot.

0 Likes
wmayo

I wouldn't recommond an Ally either. After the last update, they really messed up some aspects of the phone (some apps stop working, and you have to constantly reinstall them - after reboots or turning phone off). LG knows about the problem, but the promised update is forever coming (like their 2.2 Froyo update).

LG really goofed on this, and it may hurt their rep some. A shame, because it was a terrific and inexpensive driod option at first, and seemed to have a lot of promise.

0 Likes
wmayo

Hurrah! They finally got the FIX update out (VZC). Strange that it came out Thanksgiving morning. What happens if a lot of problems on a holiday ... but no complaints here. They were slow getting it out, but I'm so GLAD they did it!

Now ... for 2.2 ...

0 Likes
hollywoodS14

is 2.2 out now?? im only 2.1. the guy at verizon said he has seen 2.2 on ally's for a couple months now

0 Likes
tigerdog
Enthusiast - Level 2

LG has pushed two updates for the Ally since initial release.  Both are updates to 2.1.  The latest was pushed around Thanksgiving 2010.  Each has made our Ally more stable, but there are several issues with which we continue to wrestle:

IMAP Email:  if you do email on the phone from an IMAP server (not POP3) deleting messages on the phone does not delete them from the server.  You receive the same message over and over.  Ultimately, we solved this problem by using K9 Mail instead of the standard email app.

Bluetooth:  This device does not play nicely in the sandbox with the Bluetooth in my wife's car (Pioneer 900BT navigation system).  Her old LG Env2 was absolutely first rate in interoperating with the Pioneer.  I understand Bluetooth issues are known to be related to Android 2.1.

Data usage:  boy does this hog the unlimited data plan.  Compared with my Droid X, connected to both IMAP and Exchange, the Ally does twice the data traffic.  Still haven't nailed this one down.

Would I recommend it?  Probably not.  My wife absolutely loves her Ally but I am really getting the impression the Ally will be an orphaned phone with limited support from VZ and LG within 6 months.  The forever-delayed 2.2 update plus the fact VZ is giving them away free doesn't bode well for the phone maintaining a strong position in their portfolio long term. 

Opinion, of course.  YMMV.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry for the silence I was asked to hold off on commenting until we had an OFFICIAL Update....  Here it is...

“A Froyo OS upgrade, will be available to all LG Ally handset users in February, 2011.”

I don't have any information beyond the official statement, but I'll try to answer whatever questions you have. 

0 Likes