Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
LG G6 Oreo App Scaling
TONY_W
Enthusiast - Level 3

After upgrading my LG G6 to Oreo, I notice that not all apps are listed in the App Scaling settings. Before Oreo I'm pretty sure I could change the scaling for any app, but now it's just a select few. I have a few games that no longer display properly because of this.

I do have the "Game Tools" icon turned on, but it does not offer the App Scaling option ("Go full screen") in all apps. In fact, in most of my games it only offers "Take a break," "Take a screenshot," and "Adjust game graphics." That last one only has Resolution and Frame rate settings, not app scaling.

It looks like the only apps that have "Go full screen" available in the Game Tools are the same apps that can be adjusted in the phone's App Scaling settings.

So, how do I change the app scaling for these games that no longer display properly?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG G6 Oreo App Scaling
bearone21
Legend

you don't, you'll have to wait 'til the developers make the required changes for the update!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello TONY_W,

When our devices update the software, it's meant to make everything run more smoothly. I'm sorry if this settings change is affecting you. In many cases, the manufacturer will issue another update (a software patch). However, I do want to ask you a couple of questions. Do the applications that don't display properly have an update available? Do you see a menu icon in these applications that wasn't there before the update? Please share some additional details. 

Christina_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TONY_W
Enthusiast - Level 3

I already said I do see the "Game Tools" menu icon that's new in Oreo. Is that what you're asking about? I also said that the App Scaling option (which seems to be called "Go Full Screen") is not present in all apps. That's the problem.

As for updates, some apps have had a recent update (after I installed Oreo), and some have not.

I contacted the developer of one of the games (King) and this is what they said:

"With more than 10.000 different Android devices that often have different screen sizes it can be an uphill struggle to get the game app to fit on all devices. We are always working on improving the game and hopefully it will get a resizing for your your LG G6. Thanks for letting us know though, rest assured I'll pass your device information onto the Developers for their consideration."

When I wrote back saying it's not really a scaling issue on their end, but rather a missing setting on the LG G6 after the Oreo update, they said this:

"I have informed the Developers of your situation, but at this time I honestly don't know when/if there will be a change for the scaling in the immediate future."

It sounds like they don't understand that this would be fixed if they could somehow get their app re-listed in the phone's App Scaling settings. I don't know if that's something they have to do themselves, or if an Oreo update is needed to fix it?

But the bottom line is that something changed in Oreo on my LG G6 so that only a few apps are listed under App Scaling, so that's why I'm asking here. First of all, why are only some apps listed under App Scaling after the Oreo update? And second, how can I get an app re-listed in there so I can fix the scaling?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TONY_W, we understand how frustrating it can be to not be able to change the scaling of your applications. However, when there is a new software update, the developers of each application do have to make changes to make it compatible for the new update. You can test your device in Safe Mode to see if the issue continues, and if it does then it is a waiting game until the applications can work properly with the new Oreo update. Click here to learn how to restart your phone in Safe Mode: http://spr.ly/6580Dm4pO .

0 Likes
TONY_W
Enthusiast - Level 3

Before Oreo, every app was automatically listed in the phone's App Scaling settings. I could change the scaling for any of them if I wanted to (although most didn't need to).

Now with Oreo are you saying it's up to every app developer to issue an update so that their app gets put back in the App Scaling settings? I know that can't possibly be correct because I have apps listed in App Scaling settings that haven't been updated in 6 months or longer (one of them is more than a year old.)

So I ask again, why aren't all apps listed in the App Scaling settings like they used to be before Oreo?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your discontent and your efforts are appreciated. Updates are designed to help versus hinder the phone. In an effort to ensure your concern is addressed and resolved, please reach out to LG directly for additional assistance: https://www.lg.com/us/support/chat-and-email-information.  I hope this is beneficial. 

Ayani_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TONY_W
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been going back and forth with LG about this problem for the past 2 months. I seem to have escalated as far as I can with them, and their response has always been that it's the developers problem. Here is the final response I received:

"We have verified with our Engineering team that these changes of not having the capability to app scale some of your apps is not controlled by the Operating System but the applications itself. For this type of case we both need to wait until the developer of the applications you have released an update to bring the app scaling back. We hope you understand."

It doesn't matter how many times I point out to them that this was never an issue before Oreo, and that it was the Oreo update that changed the way App Scaling works. LG says it's up to me to contact the developers of the apps and get them to restore App Scaling. That's absurd. I have dozens of apps where App Scaling no longer works, and I have neither the time nor the desire to contact all those developers. So I told them that this will be my last LG phone, thank you very much.

0 Likes