LG V20 Reception Issues
JessFinsUp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anyone else noticing issues keeping a signal with the LG V20? I had fine signal on my Galaxy S5 last week traveling to work. This week with the new phone, I hardly have any signal. I can't stay connected to calls, and audio won't stream for more than a few minutes without buffering (unless I'm at home on the WiFi). I've yet to see more than one little bar for reception with this phone, yet it would be maxed out with my S5.

I tried removing and reinserting the SIM card, and I have disabled HD voice calling. Any other suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG V20 Reception Issues
andreas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Congratulations on your new phone, JessFinsUp. We want to ensure you can continue enjoying your service. I appreciate the steps you have taken to improve service. I understand you did not experience problems with your previous device, but I do want to review the area. Please provide your zip code. By going to Settings>More>Mobile Networks>System Select>Network Mode, please change this to LTE/CDMA. Additionally, while under the Mobile Networks menu, select Data roaming access and allow access.

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
JessFinsUp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. I have made the changes, but my signal at home has still not improved. Fingers crossed it will help when I go back to work next week. My zip code is 24592 and I travel to zip code 23901 during the week.

Thanks again.

randellgreer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having this same problem.  Went through several rounds of calls to Verizon technical assistance making tweaks to settings, including switching to LTE/CDMA network and clearing data cache.  After doing all that with no improvement, I was transferred to a "Level 2" tech who suggested turning off HD Voice.  Apparently this is causing hand-off problems between cell towers for some phones.  (I found some info on the Web indicating this is also an issue on the iPhone 7.)  After turning HD Voice off in the Advanced Calling menu I have not had any more problems with dropping of streaming data while driving.  If you have HD Voice activated on your device, this may the cause of your problem.

rushmore69
Enthusiast - Level 3

Reviews and most users report better reception than previous devices.  I found the Note 7 to have the weakest reception of any recent device I owned.  It is 10 dBm less than my note 4.  Both Note 7's I had performed with the same weakish reception.

0 Likes
JessFinsUp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the replies. Turning off the HD voice option was the first fix I tried. I even tried the fix listed above from the VZW tech. The reception still sucks. I'm super disappointed because I love this phone and all of the features, but it's worthless as a phone if I can't stay connected to actual phone calls.

Hopefully enough people will have the problem that someone can push out an update or fix. I'm locked into this phone for a year with the payment plan through VZW. Not being able to use my cell phone for calls reliably is going to make for a L-O-N-G year...

Hobiwankinobi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I realize this post is months old. But I am having this problem as well. This is a replacement handset too. My other one had multiple issues. Verizon sent me a new one. It worked just fine for about 6 weeks. Yesterday I started having dropped calls again. According to open signal app the closest cell tower is about 3/4 of a mile. Then branching out there are about 7 cell towers within 4 miles of my house. I live at zip code 47904. In my house with Verizon, I've had HTC ONE M7, HTC REZOUND, SAMSUNG GALAXY S5, LG V10. I've not had these kings of signal issues with any other of my phones...  With this lg v20 I'm getting less than 5mbps on open signals speed test. Previously on my other phone I tried all the fixes suggested. Even hard reset,  and followed all suggestions from the Verizon store. Not sure what I'm going to do if I can't actually use my phone as a phone...

NancyAZ
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just bought an lg v20 from Verizon yesterday.  In my house, it bounced between 1 bar and 2. I made 3 calls and everyone complained that I was cutting in and out. I'm 3 blocks from a cell tower and have never had this problem with previous phones. I took it back to Verizon today. They changed a setting but it made no difference. I returned the phone. So my question is, has anyone tried the lg v20 on att network?

emmanouil1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also am having the same issues. Actually my wife's line.

Dropped calls. Static sounds. Can't hear or be heard more times than not. Wife is an EMT & Realtor so she needs her phone. She needs a reliable phone.

After numerous calls to the 1-800 number, online chat or in store help I am still having problems and HATE this phone.

After only 2 weeks of a new purchase I was fed up and went back the store. They replaced with a new phone but still having same issues.

Now over the course of about 3 months and countless contacts back and forth with VW I am still having same issues.

I was told to:

1 - turn on HD

2 - turn of HD

3 - change a multitude of settings

4 - then changes the simm card

5 - reset phone back to original default and start all over again. (OMG this is now the 3rd time!!!)

Everytime I speak to a new support person whether level 2 or highest possible level, I am told I am sorry you had to deal with these issues and you can talk to me from now on sp that you dont have to start from scratch again. Hmmm

So how many people have told me that and yeah they can never be reached either by the phone number or email supplied?

I don't know what else to do!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

emmanouil1,

I do apologize that you have had to endure such a situation. Have you looked into a warranty replacement? Seeing that you have already completed a factory reset, there are not much more we can try.

NicoleT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes