LG V20 Suddenly Has Connection Fluctuations
csr19us

My almost-new V20 has suddenly started losing and changing tower signals all the time. One minute, it will have a pretty good LTE lock, but then it will randomly drop to 3G (if I'm lucky), and sometimes just drops altogether. I am missing lots of calls (goes straight to VM like I have it turned off), and many calls drop a lot... forget HD quality.

When I first got this phone, it was working great... always a strong 4G/LTE lock.

I've tried the entire troubleshooting gamut... Verizon's troubleshooting tool, many factory resets, cache wipes, SIM and SD card re-seats, battery pulls, LG software/update utility on the PC w/USB cable (the 90 minute repair process), etc. EVERYTHING... for three days effort now.

I've completely exhausted everything that I, as a tech-savvy IT guy, know how to do.

My suspicion is now settling on that I have a hardware failure or SIM card needing replaced???

I had to have a shop change my screen since it cracked several weeks ago, so I doubt the warranty is still valid (or is it)? By the way, it was working fine after the repair for a couple of weeks at least; so I highly doubt that is related to this.

Can I change my SIM card at least, to try that, first? Seems easy enough a thing to try.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG V20 Suddenly Has Connection Fluctuations
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

csr19us, I'm glad to hear that your device's screen was repaired. However, if the screen was not repaired by the device manufacturer's authorized technicians or through the Asurion wireless insurance provider (When filing a claim), this would void the device's equipment warranty. Ensuring that your device works at all times is our goal and we'll do everything we can to get it working for you. We appreciate the troubleshooting you've already done for your device.  I've noted that you will visit a store replace your device's SIM Card to help resolve its service issues. We'd like to save you a trip to a store. 

RobertC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

SIM cards are free at a corporate store, and yes, switching that out could be a simple fix.

Is your preferred network set to LTE/CDMA?  It should be, not GLOBAL or some other settings.

0 Likes
csr19us

Yes, I tried all the different network settings, including LTE/CDMA vs

Global.

I will try to get to a store to swap SIM cards. I'll report back with my

results, in case it helps others, or if I need to take further steps.

0 Likes
csr19us

I got a new SIM card, and still no luck. It seems this phone just doesn't

want to keep a cellular signal lock.

Also, I'm generally seeing very low reception strength to the nearest tower

(30 or 40 db less than other phones we still have)... as well as several

fewer neighbor towers within range (compared to other phones).

I'm left with the impression that something has gone wrong with the antenna

or radio.

This was a VERY expensive phone... what are my options?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the phone is less than a year old you can get a warranty replacement.  Hope fully there is no water or other physical damage that would void the warranty.

0 Likes
csr19us

I had a cracked screen that was replaced by a local repair shop at one

time. Would that void the warranty?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

csr19us, I'm glad to hear that your device's screen was repaired. However, if the screen was not repaired by the device manufacturer's authorized technicians or through the Asurion wireless insurance provider (When filing a claim), this would void the device's equipment warranty. Ensuring that your device works at all times is our goal and we'll do everything we can to get it working for you. We appreciate the troubleshooting you've already done for your device.  I've noted that you will visit a store replace your device's SIM Card to help resolve its service issues. We'd like to save you a trip to a store. 

RobertC_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
csr19us

I've already tried replacing the SIM card, but am still experiencing issues

with cellular reception.

Is there an antenna component (like the top bumper/edge piece) that I could

simply replace? Maybe it became damaged somehow.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 2:03 PM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Crs19us that is great question. I regret to learn that the SIM replacement was not successful. When your screen was replaced did you do this through Asurion? If so I would recommend visiting phoneclaim.com/verizon to get started on the replacement process. If not, the screen repair would void the warranty, so I would recommend contacting LG to see about getting your device repaired http://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/schedule-repair-us.

AdrienneP_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Trh1108

The v20 is just a garbage phone.  I have had these same reception problems since day 1.  I can sit next to my wife who has the Note 5 and she will have 3 or 4 bars and I'm lucky to have 1.  A lot of calls to me go straight to VM like my phone is off.  I have tried all the different settings like Verizon suggests and nothing works.  Verizon and LG should have some sort of trade in program for these phones as LG just missed it on this phone.  If only Samsung didn't have issues with Note 7 I would be a happy camper.  Never had a problem with any Samsung phone ive had but to get out of this LG V20 would cost me way to much so I'm just stuck with a [removed] phone until I pay off enough to get rid of it.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes