LG V20 speaker static
miketen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had my LG V20 for about two weeks and I am now experiencing horrible static coming through the speakers.  It occurs when playing music, videos on youtube and sometimes when there's no media playing at all.  I've read on other forums that other people are having the same issue as me.  Is anyone else having the same problem?  The manufacture date on my phone is NOV 2016 if that matters at all.  I am just hoping this is some software related issue.  Or an indication of an alien invasion from outer space declaring war on LG V20 owners.  Please oh please, anything but hardware related.  I really don't want to turn my phone in to be replaced/repaired because shipping around this time of year sucks tremendously and being without a phone for more than a month...just shoot me now.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG V20 speaker static
brawlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

One more thing to try and isolate the speaker is to put the phone into

safe mode and to see if it still does it?

Push and hold the power button. Then push and hold the off button until

it says restart in safe mode. Run it for a little bit and put it through

its paces and let us know how it goes?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
brawlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've not experienced this but suggest you take it to a Verizon store.

What steps have you taken to correct this?

Does the problem still happen after a restart?

Any issues when using headphones?

You state you've read other people experience the same, but what have they tried, and has anyone found a remedy?

Have you checked for any software update?

0 Likes
miketen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I still want to test things out a bit before I go to a Verizon store. I have not exposed the phone to water nor have I dropped it. The problem occurred last night after listening to music and watching youtube videos for over an hour or so on my wired headphones.  Once I removed the headphones from the headphone jack and played a snapchat video I heard static and the volume was set to mid range at the time.  So far no static via the headphone jack but once that happens off to Verizon I shall go.

I have the latest firmware and security updates I updated the day they were released.  Other people have restarted and factory reset their phones but it didn't fix the problem for them so they returned their phones to be traded or replaced.  For me, restarts and turning off the phone completely only provide a temporary fix after a while the distorted static occurs again. Especially when playing media at high volume and then occurring intermittently when no media is being played at all. 

0 Likes
brawlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I suggest you watch this YouTube Video posted by a well known person in his own channel JerryRigEverything. He is known for showing how to disassemble phones and scratch testing everything on the phone and test for durability.

I digress, he clearly posts that after he removed the rear facing camera protective film that it shatters the plastic and is caught on video!

He goes on to recommend not to remove this protective film. I personally could not tell or would have guessed there was a film if not mentioned...

This has been mentioned by others online but doubt it has been captured on video...

0 Likes
MRRICH1

I had the same problem after 1 week. Verizon diagnosed this as blown speakers. Phone needs to be replaced ASAP as the issue seems to get worse over time. The rep said they had about 3 or 4 people call in with the same issue so I am hoping this is not a wide spread problem and won't occur with the replacement phone.....hope this helps.

0 Likes
miketen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I saw the video a while ago and my whole body and soul winces when the lens shatters.

I have been extra careful with my phone upon reading about the rear camera lens issue some people have had a few weeks ago, which is why I recently bought a $200 activity tracker/fitness watch to take with me on runs instead of my phone.

0 Likes
miketen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ah darn.  Blown speakers was my worst fear.  I almost don't want to go to the Verizon store to have it replaced tomorrow for fear that the new unit will [Removed] out the same way.  Ha, I actually forecasted this to myself when I posted experiencing a static problem with my LG G4 in these forums, and that I should wait before upgrading when new phones are released because of the possibility of new units have early hardware defects that may occur during manufacturing

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
brawlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

One more thing to try and isolate the speaker is to put the phone into

safe mode and to see if it still does it?

Push and hold the power button. Then push and hold the off button until

it says restart in safe mode. Run it for a little bit and put it through

its paces and let us know how it goes?

0 Likes
miketen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same deal with distorted static also occurs in safe mode.  So I'm guessing that is an indication of blown out speakers?  In any case I will be backing up my files this weekend as well as file a claim with Asurion insurance.

0 Likes
brawlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't file a claim with Asurion because it is covered under Verizon

warranty... I believe its one year?

In the future you're better off going with Square Trade for a two year

coverage of $119.99 through Costco...

Cheaper and best of all you can always return the insurance and get ALL

of your money back... I did when I returned my Note 7 ;O)

0 Likes