LG Vortex (VS660) unable to update to Android 2.2.2
zziccardi

Hello, I have the LG Vortex (VS660) on Verizon, and I am unable to update Android OS to version 2.2.2.

I am currently running Android 2.2, and I wish to update to either 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 (preferably the latter).

However, attempting to update by Settings > About Phone > Software Update > Status results in the following:

Source: Verizon Wireless

Code: 503

Date: June 2, 2012

Time: 4:02 PM

Settings > About Phone > Software Update > Check New gives me this:

SERVICE UNAVAIABLE

Check for Software Update when service is available.

However, the service is never available. I have four bars and Wi-Fi turned on. The Wi-Fi should be turned off automatically when I try to update, however this does not happen. Turning of Wi-Fi manually first, then trying to update yields the same result. This leads me to believe that the phone is not actually checking to see if a software update is available. Additionally, checking the status usually displays the wrong time. The time is usually a couple hours behind, which also makes me think that the phone is not actively checking for a software update, although it is supposed to when I manually check, of all times. I'm really not sure what might have caused this issue, and in all the time I've had the device, not once has something popped up telling me that my firmware is not up-to-date, and that I can update it.

I have never done any sort of rooting and / or hacking in any way, despite how much I would like to so that I could remove all of the bloatware that is installed on it by default from both Verizon Wireless and LG Electronics. However, I don't think it would even be worth it, considered how under-powered the phone is and that the hardware is a bit dated.

Has anyone else had this issue, either on the same phone or another Android device? Does anyone have any ideas of what I should try?

I'm hoping the Code: 503 should be able to provide some sort of clue as to what is wrong, however I could not find any place to enter error codes on either this site or on LG's corresponding website.

I would prefer not to have to visit a Verizon Wireless store, because often I have found the employees there to not be very helpful. I am rather knowledgeable when it comes to computers and mobile devices in general, although I'm much more familiar with Apple's Mac and iPhone platforms than I am with Microsoft Windows or Android.

I have both a Mac and a computer running Windows 7 at my disposal, and I have attempted to plug in my device via USB to both, with no luck. On the PC, I installed all of the drivers I could find from LG, and the computer does recognize the device when it is connected. However, when I run the LG Mobile Support Tool, it says that the Vortex is already up-to-date. This is not the case, though. I know a couple people who also have the Vortex, and neither of them have ever had any issues updating their devices. Both were able to update first to Android 2.2.1, and then to 2.2.2 flawlessly.

Is there any way that I can download the official firmware (version 2.2.2) online from either LG or Verizon, and try to install that on my device? Perhaps installing Android 2.2 over the previously existing version that is running on my phone would help. Is this possible?

I know that the Android platform is open source, but I assume I wouldn't just be able to download Android 2.2.2 from Google and install it on the Vortex, considering that both LG and Verizon have contributed to creating a custom version of Android, which is what my phone, like all others, came pre-installed with. Is what I'm saying correct?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Vortex (VS660) unable to update to Android 2.2.2
verizonmoderator1

>This thread will be locked as the poster has begun a new thread on the same subject.

The new thread can be found at the link below<

0 Likes