Re: LG v20 is supposed to have Google In Apps Shortcut - why not?
SupraLB
Enthusiast - Level 2

The In Apps search shortcut is not an LG feature, although they do promote it. 

Its a Google feature of Android 7.0 and included with Nougat software. 

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Then if it is a Google feature and Android being open source it is possible that LG decided to take it off. If you notice that Android does not look the same on all devices. This is because manufacturers can apply their skins. It looks like LG didn't want to include this feature in Nougat and wanted to have it be a feature that the carrier would need to pay for and VZW decided not to pay for it in turn not increasing the cost to the consumer.

0 Likes
SupraLB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you missed a few key points along the way here:

1. Google designed this feature for Nougat and included this with the software for all phones, including LG V20.  Here is the announcement by Google:   A new way to search for content in your apps

Also in this announcement page, you can see where Google also said this would be first included on the LG V20 (probably it was the first phone announced with 7.0 out of the box).

2. LG then announced the LG V20's would include this new feature in this press release here:  http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lg-v20-worlds-first-phone-to-showcase-googles-new-mode-to-se...

3.  AT&T, Sprint, Tmobile, and all unlocked LG V20s out there include this feature.  Every single carrier of the LG V20.    The only time its missing is if you buy from Verizon, because even the unlocked phones that work on Verizon have it.

My gut feeling is that whomever was loading the bloatware and standard Verizon apps for the homescreen, deleted the Google In Apps Search shortcut by mistake.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

And as was mentioned FEATURES VARY BY CARRIER. If the other carriers have it return the phone and switch carriers. This isn't arguable or debateable. Pure and simple.

0 Likes
sll1313
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, you are wrong!  It is arguable and debatable.  Not pure and simple.  You're right as it was mentioned FEATURES VARY BY CARRIER, right on LG'S site.  You need how to learn how to read a key:

OS & Hardware

Android 7.0 (Nougat) OS

Improved experience, better productivity, and enhanced performance

Processor

Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 820 with X12 LTE and 2.15 GHz Quad-Core Custom 64-bit Qualcomm Kryo

LG UX 5.0+

Swipe to explore all apps

In Apps

Find content in the apps on your phone: contacts, messages, videos, and more

Smart Settings

Turn settings on/off, open apps, or change settings according to location

Smart Cleaning®

Free up space by deleting temporary files and removing infrequently used apps

Smart Keyboard

Adjust keyboard height and control cursor; adaptive word recognition based on user behavior

Knock Code®

Tap a 6- to 10-point pattern to access the home screen

Battery Capacity

3,200 mAh Removable

One-Handed Operation

Position the keyboard closer to the left or right edge

Smart Bulletin 2.0

View information and launch applications; includes customizable cards that provide tips, help users track health1, and more

Smart Lock

Keep phone unlocked when connected to trusted devices or in trusted places

LG Health 2.01

Fitness app tracks daily activity

QuickMemo®+

Take notes with ability to choose paper style, pen size and color, add text with a PC-like toolbar, and more

Capture+

Write or draw on nearly any screen and then save to QuickMemo+ or Google® Photos™

SnapPage for QuickMemo+2

Captures web page text and images and imports them into QuickMemo+

Knock On®

Double-tap the screen to put your phone to sleep/wake it

Internal Memory

64 GB (up to 50 GB usable space - varies by carrier)

Ringtone ID

Unique ringtone created for each caller based on phone numbers

Customizable Home Touch Buttons

Includes Notification,Capture+, QSlide Function™ and customizable color settings

QSlide Function

Overlay up to two windows with adjustable sizing and transparency

Battery & Power Saving

Minimize the battery consumption through apps control

Multi Language Support

Multilanguage support for Phone and Keyboard Input

EasyHome

Interface with a simpler layout and larger font size

Home & Apps Drawer

Provides traditional Android layout of the home screen and apps list

Content Lock

Set a password/pattern to protect QuickMemo+ memos; prevent les from being previewed when linked to a PC4

Supports microSD

Card up to 2 TB (microSD cards sold separately)

Mini View

Shrink the screen for use with one hand

Clip Tray®

Copy multiple items and paste in a clipboard at the bottom of the screen

Do Not Disturb

Turn off all notifications except chosen ones

Comfort View

Decreases the amount of blue light on the screen to help reduce eye strain

Display Size

Make items on the screen larger or smaller

Fingerprint ID

Gain access to your phone, make mobile payments, and secure content3

RAM

4 GB

1.This app is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Always seek the advice of a qualified medical professional before making any changes to your exercise, sleep, or nutrition.

2.LG does not guarantee the performance of this feature on all mobile browsers.

3.Features and capabilities may vary by carrier.

4.Some owner content may still be accessible to a user who enables Content Lock

This was copy and pasted directly from LG's site like the one person said to go and look at.  Well it clearly states in the key that the number 3 refers to "Features and capabilities may vary by carrier". The number 3 is only printed next to "Fingerprint ID".  Therefore, if this feature was not available on Verizon or any of the carriers it would be understand able because the disclaimer is obvious.  However "In Apps", "Smart Settings", "Smart Cleaning", "Smart Bulletin 2.0", and others do not have the number "3" listed next to them, which should means those features should be available on all carriers.  I am not necessarily blaming Verizon because this was copied and pasted directly from LG's website like the one person said to look at.  I believe LG has either misled or printed incorrect information based on the fact that a lot of these features are not on the phone as promised.  It is a big shame because I am really enjoying the phone and these features I believe would just make it even better.  I also can't believe with all these disclaimers listed below, "1,2,3,4". They didn't put the appropriate numbers next to the features.  It leads me to believe that this is either false advertisement by LG or LG was not aware that Verizon was going to remove these features.  I now understand why Verizon sold this phone for less than anyone else.  I hope in a future update they will enable all the features that people were expecting based on what was printed on the website.  Since a lot of people that bought the LG V20 had previously purchased the Note 7 and had to go through that unfortunate ordeal, I would hope that Verizon would like to go out of there way to make those consumers immediate experiences easier.  If there is another place that the other person was referring to that states that these features may not be available to all the carriers, please let me know.  I followed their instructions to find this that I posted here.

jraines
Contributor - Level 1

I don't think Mark is going to answer us...

0 Likes