LTE-A for the Z Play?
stuff257

Hi, hoping someone from Verizon can get me an answer on this.   I already tried calling in, also called Motorola.  The "techs" had no clue what I was even talking about.  Really frustrating that Verizon's own people in tier 2 are not aware of what LTE Advanced is!

Anyway, the Z Play does not have the label on the site of LTE-Advanced, but much older phones like the Droid Turbo, are listed.  It would be crazy for this phone to not be compatible, as it just came out, AFTER Verizon announced the LTE-A rollout.  However, it remains unlabeled, the specs do not note that it is compatible, and it is not on the list.  My hope is that this is just a mistake.  I called Qualcomm, and the 625 does support Cat 9 as well as Bluetooth 4.1.  But Verizon has neither listed.

Can someone please confirm that the Z Play is NOT compatible with LTE-A?  Again, I think it is extremely odd for that to be the case, but Verizon's marketing is saying that it is not compatible.  If it is not, The Z Play is useless to purchase as a new phone.  Already outdated for the network, while phones form 2013 can handle it!  The Droid Z and the Z Force are both noted as yes, but the Play is noted as no.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LTE-A for the Z Play?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Bluetooth 4.0 not 4.1 on this phone. Motorola Moto Z Play Droid full specs

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
stuff257

Thank you, that worries me more....the hardware supports 4.1, but it seems they have it set up for only 4.0.  Which could mean that they did the same for the LTE-A.  If that is true, then Verizon is selling us a phone that is outdated and unable to use the far greater data speeds that their latest network offers.  And it is worse because the phone CAN handle that, but they chose to throttle it back.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe it supports it or not. Either way, Motorola didn't get the FCC certification for the higher level of Bluetooth or LTE-A. Motorola or Verizon Wireless can't claim it is capable of something that it isn't certified for.

The device is XLTE ready. Which to me is an advancement of the original LTE network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

isn't lte-a a verizon function of better, up to 50% better download speeds in some areas??

0 Likes
stuff257

Yes, that is what it is, which is why I am so concerned about it for this phone.  I went to buy it but found this out so now think I have been duped.  If it is not able to use this network, then the phone is already obsolete, even before taking it out of the box.  You will never get those new, better speeds.  I am talking to someone from Motorola now, a rep, who says that it should be compatible, and he does not know why Vz is saying it is not.  He is looking into it, I hope he is right.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

not all areas will get it, depends where you are.  verizon has a list of participating cities.

0 Likes
stuff257

Thanks, I know that part, but the question is about the Z play itself and if it can handle the Advanced.  For example, I have the Maxx right now and my area has LTE-Advanced.  I cannot get it, but my cousin with the Turbo 2 can, who lives near me.  Motorola is saying it will work, but Vz says no. 

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

it's not so much "getting lte-a", it can be up to 50% increase in download speed.....you may have faster speeds & not realize it.

use ookla to check for a few days, at different times of the day.

0 Likes