Re: Let's hear from YOU on your S5 & 5.0 update, normal, not working, I'm in trouble?
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Most phone updates go very well, 5.0 for S5 owners BIG problems and continues to be in many ways. Both Samsung and Verizon pushed early and now the results are painful for all, companies and customers. Glad you had insurance and now have a working phone.

Re: Let's hear from YOU on your S5 & 5.0 update, normal, not working, I'm in trouble?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

djcjcon123,

We want you to be able to enjoy your notifications on your device again. Thank you for all you have done. Do you notice if the notification light no longer blinks only when the phone is on silent? If so, turn the volume all the way down to silent and then tap on the Settings gear next to the volume bar that is shown when turning the sound down. Then choose the option for Sound. Once in Sound make sure the option for Always interrupt or Only allow priority interruptions.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
deacsrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a horrible update.  I chose the S5 based on it's performance and how easy it was for me to view.  This update changed the platform to colors that make it difficult for me to see.  Nothing is customizable.  Not the colors, notifications or fonts.  Notifications on lock screen in light blue coloring, text message with orange bar and small black lettering makes reading content difficult.  "If" my phone lets me know I have a text message (notification light not working, screen doesn't flash) the bar on the lock screen says content hidden.  I rather liked being able to tell who the text was from and if I needed to reply right away or if I could wait.  I really do not need a notification bar on the lock screen telling me WiFi is available which makes the clock too small for me to see.  I hate this update for many other reasons and it has taken away all the things I bought the phone for in the first place.  My old eyes are tired and if I can't see the information on the screen then whats the sense of having it?  Lollipop and Verizon did not do customers any favors.  If going to force this type of update, at least let us customize colors/fonts/notifications.

Snn5
Legend

You can use a separate launcher that lets you customize colors and fonts etc...Look for something similar to Nova or Go Launcher on the Play Store.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Many others feel the same as you, but at this time their is very little that can be done. Go with outside apps as Snn5  posted. There may be some improvement with newer version updates to still be released, but this could be a long unhappy period for most S5 owners.

deacsrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

What's the point of the update if you need to an outside app to make the phone perform as it did prior?  I'm not tech savvy.  I just want the phone to do what I bought it for in the first place without extra steps and apps.  Verizon should not force updates on customers who do not want them.  I see no improvement over all to the performance of the phone and everything else is makes the phone frustrating to use.  I'll try the app you suggested and see if that helps.  Thank you

I did find on another forum that there is a way to revert back to previous version.  I'll be trying that this weekend after I back up all my data and get the tech savvy neighbor to come over and help.

0 Likes
ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

Updated in February

1st Major problem was the battery life drains in a matter of 2-3 hours on a full charge. Full charge taking 24 hours.

2nd Problem- Contact closing and wouldn't make calls when I tried to use it.

3rd Service and Wifi signal picking up and dropping

4th Audio and Video build in programs on the phone will auto restart after a few minutes or the the songs will play for a few seconds and then skip.

What I tried

Cache Wipes

Soft Reset

Hard Resets x2

Nothing helped the phone.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Don't do that, you will void your warranty.

0 Likes
GMSLEE
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you're not tech savvy, hacking into your phone to revert software might not be your best plan since it voids your warranty and then your tech savvy friend becomes your primary line of support.  That said, my experience is that if you like how it works, you don't update, because they always change things you've come to rely on.

There are launcher apps out there that replace your interface.  This is one of the benefits to Android over iOS, that you can select a different interface than what ships with your phone.  As a bonus, you can switch to a new phone in the future and use the same launcher to keep the look and feel you've grown accustomed to.  I currently use Yahoo Aviate, but Go Launcher was my launcher for a long time.

0 Likes
deacsrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had I known this update would drastically change platform and layout, I wouldn't have done it.  I was of the mind that an update makes things better, not worse.  Regarding the warranty being void if I attempt to get it back to previous version......phone barely does what I bought it for so warranty already invalid as I can't replace phone due to this horrible update.

I tried the Go Launcher.  Not sure what it's supposed to do.  Yes it changed the icons and I figured out how to customize the apps I use, but still not getting notifications and the lollipop notification box on the lock screen shows Go Launcher unknown content which prevents me from seeing what time it is.