Re: Microsoft Surface Duo
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think it's a mistake. There is a footnote that says users of Sprint (now a part of T-Mobile) need to use a T-Mobile (SIM? eSIM?) with the Duo.

Remember that Sprint and Verizon Wireless are both legacy CDMA carriers. Despite the fact that Verizon Wireless has mothballed its old CDMA network, the note telling Sprint users to associate their phones to T-Mobile's legacy GSM network tells me that the Duo isn't compatible with Verizon Wireless.

I questioned the VZW supposed compatibility over on windows central. I don't know if Daniel Rubino is going to A. simply respond off the cuff, B. check with his contacts at Microsoft or C. not respond at all.

My guess is either A or C.

0 Likes
CDMayberry1

Huh, was not aware of the CDMA history. I'm not really knowledgeable on CDMA vs GSM but I heard that the FCC testing for the Duo included the Verizon specific bands, which is why I assumed it's still coming to Verizon.

I might try poking the Surface and/or Verizon twitter for info of some kind, otherwise this seems like a pretty glaring mistake to make by Microsoft.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another omission that doesn't bode well is that the Duo shows WCDMA and GSM compatibility, but, no CDMA or EVDO which would signify compatibility with Verizon Wireless, old Sprint and US Cellular.

0 Likes
AXELTI
Enthusiast - Level 1

CMDA and EVDO are not needed on 4G networks, this becomes only relevant when you are using this device in remote areas where you have to back down to 3G.  But if this is going to happen you are out of luck anyhow.

So the real issue is approval by Verizon, and if there is a beef between Microsoft and Verizon, then you have the same problem as you had with previous high-end MS phones on the Verizon network.

I sure hope that MS understands this and is capable of bridging the divide.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Seeing how Microsoft submitted the Duo for WCDMA/GSM certification, but not CDMA/EVDO means that the Duo was not intended to be used on Verizon Wireless, legacy Sprint and US Cellular.

I'm almost ready to start looking at Samsung's phones at this point. But before that happens, I'll pause to see if Daniel Rubino, Zac Bowen, Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurrott or Brad Sams mention anything.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Dexman. Did you need assistance with Verizon service?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there, CDMayberry1! We would love the opportunity to help you in any way we can. How may we be of assistance?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. Please provide a straightforward "Yes" or "No" answer.

If I go to Best Buy and purchase an unlocked Microsoft Surface Duo, can I bring the device to a Verizon Wireless store and have it activated on Verizon Wireless's network?

I am seeing conflicting information, so, before I commit a sizable amount of money, I need to know if Verizon Wireless will allow the device onto the network..."Yes" or "No".

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The latest information from Microsoft is that an unlocked Duo can be brought onto the Verizon Wireless network.

I would still like to have that confirmed by VZW before I give the device a test drive at a local Best Buy next month.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is always good to know if a device you are interested in purchasing will work correctly with our network, dexman. I had the opportunity to research more about this product through Best Buy, since this is where you plan on buying it, and I saw that Verizon is listed under Carrier Compatibility. We don't have any official confirmation about the Microsoft Surface Duo coming to Verizon or being compatible with our network. This does not mean that it is not coming, we can possibly get more information on the device as the release date approaches.

VictorC_VZW

0 Likes