Re: Microsoft Surface Duo
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tuzer72, have no fear, your wireless experts are here. The Verizon branded billing features that are not supported on Open Development (OD) certified Open Market smartphones include:

• Visual Voicemail (VVM)
  • LTE Video Calling
  • Enhanced Address Book
  • VoWiFi
  • Integrated Messaging

Did you purchase this device from us or is this a Verizon branded device? 

-TakendraW_VZW 

0 Likes
EvilEmperorZurg

Boo! That needs to change. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'd never want this to be the reason you leave the Verizon family. However, we don't support that device. While you may be able to get it to work on our network, there will be some features like WiFi calling that are not available. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know the importance of having all features on your phone, EvilEmperorZurg. Devices sold outside of Verizon Wireless do not always have the requirements for certain services to function, and because of this, the services cannot be activated. We are always working on improving our services, and this doesn't mean this will always be the case. DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
vchat79

I would not hold my breathe waiting for Verizon.  I remember a similar incident with the release of the Samsung Gear Frontier LTE smartwatch.  They kept promising they would carry it but kept us waiting for months after other carriers was selling it. Finally I got tired of waiting and being told update delivery lies until I ordered the watch from T-Mobile and forwarded my Verizon smartphone number to the T-Mobile smartwatch, it worked great, no regrets.  Verizon is slow with new releases of products especially if they have to re-program to delete features they do not like.   Still don’t know why they don’t allow calls from my I-pad, it has it own number and service.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Microsoft created a locked version of the Surface Duo for AT&T.

Customers of T-Mobile, Sprint & Verizon Wireless have to purchase the unlocked version. Sprint customers actually have to utilize the T-Mobile network rather than the legacy Sprint.

The inability to utilize some carrier features when using unlocked phones on a particular network isn't anything new.

In recent history, Microsoft and Verizon Wireless haven't exactly had a friendly relationship. The last Lumia telephone to offer a locked VZW version was the 735. Microsoft even skipped submitting the final group of Lumia models for CDMA certification. The final Windows 10 Mobile phone was the HP Elite X3.

Unless Microsoft creates dedicated Duo variants for Verizon Wireless some carrier features will be unavailable. But Microsoft seems to have a better working relationship with AT&T than with Verizon Wireless, so, AT&T customers are getting dedicated/locked devices while customers of Verizon Wireless and other carriers make due with unlocked units that don't support all carrier features.

This may change in the future. But Microsoft has to make the first move. Right now, I don't think that Microsoft is going to make such a commitment. 🙁

0 Likes

I switched from AT&T to Verizon around 12 years ago after some bad customer service. However, I have been interested in the Microsoft Surface Duo since it's announcement and it is super-tempting to switch back for it. After all, they had to have improved customer service by now, right? I am holding out for now in hopes Verizon picks up the Duo, but can't wait forever.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The decision to produce Verizon Wireless versions of the Duo is solely Microsoft's. Verizon Wireless really can't force Microsoft to do that.

Over the past several years, Microsoft has had a better working relationship with AT&T than with Verizon Wireless, thus the final set of Lumia phones were never submitted for CDMA certification.

Until Satya Nadella, Panos Panay and/or Amy Hood decide(s) to spend the money to produce Verizon Wireless variants, all that will be available are unlocked models that cannot access all of Verizon Wireless's features.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We will be happy to address any concerns that you have in mind with this device. Please tell us, what exactly is it that you like of this device? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

DavidR_VZW,

Please re-read my post.

I was attempting to explain that it is Microsoft's decision which carriers will receive locked devices and which ones won't. I also noted that the relationship between Microsoft & Verizon Wireless has not been as productive as the relationship between Microsoft & AT&T.

At this point in time, Microsoft is producing handsets specific only for AT&T, thus the device can access & utilize all functions offered by that provider. Customers of T-Mobile/Sprint and Verizon Wireless can purchase an unlocked Duo and have it activated on the respective networks, however, some features offered by the providers will not be able to be utilized by the unit.

I hope that, at some point, Microsoft will start to create mobile devices, specifically, for carriers other than AT&T. The last Microsoft phone designed for Verizon Wireless was the Lumia 735. Since then, Microsoft has stopped producing handset specific for VZW. HP released a variant of the Elite X3 for VZW, but, that was after Microsoft had ended development of Windows 10 Mobile.

0 Likes