Microsoft Surface Duo
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello again!

My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is showing its age.

As a potential replacement, I've been keeping an eye out for any indication that Microsoft's next foray into the mobile device market (the Surface Duo) will be coming to Verizon Wireless.

To date, Microsoft has been tight lipped about an actual release date and network availability.

Has anyone else stumbled across anything that would indicate whether or not the Duo is VZW bound?

If it is...I'll hold onto the S7E until I can try out the new device.

Re: Microsoft Surface Duo
Nordiskskier
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Surface Duo is scheduled for Verizon. I have a Windows phone that works on Verizon until December - so I've been watching the internet for updates on the Duo for some time. Indications are a possible launch and shipment in August 2020. The Duo was sent for FCC inspection last week. Winbuzzer has great updates on the Duo.

https://winbuzzer.com/tag/surface-duo/

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Nordiskskier,

So far, I've only been able to find references to the Duo being made available for AT&T users. Online documents seem to point to Verizon Wireless's bands being included, but, if Microsoft doesn't send the device to Verizon Wireless for acceptance testing, the company could simply disable the bands in the phone and we'll have a repeat of the Lumia 550, 650, 950 & 950XL. ☹️

0 Likes
mikerogers0
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's one of my pet leaves that cell phone service providers dictate what cell phone I can use. That is like Comcast telling me what tv I can buy. I am a 20 + year Verizon customer but I will be gone if this happens again.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ball is really in Microsoft's court.

If Microsoft doesn't submit the Duo for acceptance testing, Verizon Wireless can block the phone from being brought onto the network.

If Microsoft is serious about the Duo, it will try to get the Duo onto as many networks as possible.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mikerogers0 I understand there may be a phone that you want. Please note, the carrier does not determine who the manufacturer will sell the device to. We have a great selection of devices available. Here is our link for your review:http://spr.ly/6604G5MEk

0 Likes
Synical
Enthusiast - Level 1

Surface Duo is available for pre-order now through the Microsoft store, with delivery tentatively scheduled for September 10th.  From the pre-order screen:  "Surface Duo will work on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon networks including subsidiary and international partner networks."

Price tag is a bit hefty at $1399 for the base 128GB model, or $1499 for the 256GB version.  Can be offset by up to $700+ credit for existing phones (my current iPhone 11 64GB was worth $550, if that helps).

Hope that helps... and hopefully it's available through Verizon soon, so I can use these device bucks I've been saving up!

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yup. I saw that information earlier this morning. I'm hoping that Verizon Wireless will make an official announcement so I can head over to Best Buy and give the Duo a once over. 🙂

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just checked the Duo's technical specs over on Microsoft's website...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-duo?activetab=techSpecs&icid=mscom_marcom

There is no mention of Verizon Wireless for either locked or unlocked models....just AT&T and T-Mobile. 😟

0 Likes
CDMayberry1

I just saw this as well and I am confused. My hope is this is either out of date, or maybe they're waiting for an announcement from Verizon first? The Microsoft blog and the Microsoft store both mention Verizon in their advertising, which makes me think maybe the spec is just out of date or erroneous.

0 Likes