Mini-USB charger or adapter for Samsung Galaxy S5?
Dissatisfied_user
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 at the Verizon Corporate Store in Mission Valley, San Diego.  I had a choice between a FREE Droid Maxx and the spendy Galaxy.  The agent assured me that all my universal mni-USB charging cables (including my car charger) would work; they would simply charge more slowly than the charger/adapter that came with the phone.  Fine by me!

I use several chargers-- in my computer bag, near my bed, car charger, etc. So I didn't buy a car charger--I already have multiples.  However, when I tried to plug in my new phone to charge it, none would fit.  Apparently, Samsung has gone back to the Dark Ages and created a proprietary connector rather than using the universal mini-USB. 

What I really object to is the false advertising used to sell the phone. I could have had a free phone that works with all my existing accessories. On top of the already exorbitant cost, I have to spend much more to keep my now lower battery life (I had a Droid Razr Maxx) going.  I can't abide lying.

My question is: is there an adapter that will allow me to use my old charger cables rather that turn them into landfill.  I'm pretty furious about this whole thing.  My recourse is to get a different phone and waste hours of my time setting up that  I'd like to bill Verizon for, or to spend lots of extra money that is NOT in my retirement budget. 

Verizon used to be the best at customer service, but this was  appalling.  My texts weren't moved, my phone wasn't set up, they moved me to paperless billing and I didn't want it, and the agent could barely communicate.  (She said the difference between the two interfaces were that one was too "bubbly"!  When queried for an explanation, she shrugged and said, "just too bubbly.  You know.") Why spend the extra money for less than adequate service?  I can see why people are moving to other carriers.  End of rant.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mini-USB charger or adapter for Samsung Galaxy S5?
Dissatisfied_user
Enthusiast - Level 2

Re: charger.  I SWEAR I tried my cables a couple of times and that  they did  not work.  Right after posting my question, I tried one more time.       It worked.  So I retract my question.  My rant about the service I received stands but is tangential.  Please ignore with my apologies.

0 Likes
Re: Mini-USB charger or adapter  for Samsung Galaxy S5?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Dissatisfied.user,

I truly apologize for any frustration! I hope that everything is working and it is okay to vent. All is forgiven! If you need any assistance, let us know on Twitter or Facebook.

Thanks,
EdW_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes