Missing Charger
rico11643

I just went through a terrible experience with Verizon "Customer Service". I'm on a family plan, and we have been for the better part of 2 decades, including the current plan, which we've had for over 15 years. Recently, my Mom saw an advertisement for the Droid Turbo 2. Her phone at the time was beat up, but she's been putting up with it because she liked the phone but when she heard about the Turbo 2's long battery life, shatterproof screen, as well as the Turbo Charging capabilities, she decided to upgrade to the Turbo 2. Later, as is all too often with me, I ended up cracking my display, and decided to buy a new phone myself, and decided on the Droid Maxx 2. Although similar in design, the Turbo 2, being a flagship level device, obviously has many more features than the midrange Maxx 2. There are a few features both possess, namely long battery life, and Turbo Charging capabilities, and we are both satisfied with the devices themselves. When I was setting up my device, she noticed the Turbo Charging adapter, she asked me why her Turbo 2 didn't come with one, and I told her that it should have. When she called customer service, she was told that she was basically out of luck, and reluctant to help. Finally, they offered to send a "free" standard 5 watt, 1.0 amp adapter, but not the adapter needed for Turbo Charging, basically negating one of the major reasons she got the device in the first place. So for whatever reason, they refused to send the charger that should have come with the phone, and that was that. Then, the next day, for reasons I can't understand, customer service actually called her back to again refuse to send the charger. Yes. CALLED HER BACK TO AGAIN REFUSE TO SEND THE CHARGER. Over 15 years as a customer. Given her nature, nice shy and most of all humble, she normally would let something like this just pass, even given the rude treatment on the first phone call. But the attitude of the second call was even worse even belittling that she didn't know that in order for turbo charging to work, she must used the adapter that was supposed to be included with her device (BTW, the first rep she spoke with didn't know that either). I'm a Disabled Veteran, and had to move in with her after I was discharged. We live about an hour away from the VA, and she takes me up there at least twice a week, sometimes more. The fact that she could get a lot of use out of a short length of Charging time really appealed to her, because she's out and about so much. Now, ironically, because the battery is so large, charging it fully can take 4-5 hours, twice as long as her old phone. I'm not confident anything will be done about it, I just wanted to share the experience.

Charlie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Missing Charger
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sorry to learn of the bad experience that you had while trying to get a fast charger, rico11643. I do have a Turbo 2 myself, and I know how important it is to have the phone charged rapidly. The Turbo 2 ships with a 25W Turbo Charger included in the same box as the phone.

Where did she buy that phone? Was it at Verizon Wireless store? Was it online at verizonwireless.com or was it at different retail store (i.e. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, other)?

On a personal note, I do thank you for the sacrifice that you have made in order to keep us safe and secure.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

rico11643 wrote:

... she decided to upgrade to the Turbo 2 .... When I was setting up my device, she noticed the Turbo Charging adapter, she asked me why her Turbo 2 didn't come with one, and I told her that it should have.

What charger DID come in the box with the phone?  The "Turbo charger" in the box with my Droid Turbo (not the Turbo 2) looks like a regular charger with a USB cable to connect to the phone.  When connected, it says "Turbo charger connected" - so what happens when you connect the cable and charger that came with the phone?

There have been recent posts about the Turbo 2 not charging correctly after a couple of months of use...so there may be other issues involved here.  Still, the charger that came with the phone wasn't a Turbo charger??

0 Likes
rico11643

Thank you for the response. Bought In store, address below.

6432 Springfield Plz,

Springfield, VA22150

(703) 451-0140

Charlie

0 Likes
rico11643

Nothing came in the box, not even paperwork. When we left the store, she put the bag behind the seat of her car. After we got home, she asked me about the size of the charging port, I told he that it was the same size (micro USB) as her Moto X, but that her new device has Turbo Charging. At the time, I didn't realize that she asked me that question because she was going to use her old charger. I know it sounds strange, but she thought at the time that the Turbo Charging technology was built into the device itself, and she also assumed that she had to provide her own charger. I know that is something most people would realize, but she's just not up on that kind of thing. I'm confident that there wasn't a charger in the box, because when I got my phone, and she asked me about mine, I asked her to bring me her box. It takes about 2 minutes to got to the car and back. When she got back, she said she couldn't open it and gave it to me. I told her you have to slide the box out of t

he

sleave. That, coupled with the fact that the box never moved, makes me confident that the box was empty.

Charlie

0 Likes
rico11643

Oh, and when she called Verizon, like I said in the first post, they tried to send a standard charger. I told them just what you said in the email I'm now responding to, using a standard charger could cause the phone to misbehave, the Verizon rep actually laughed, and said whoever told me that doesn't know what they are talking about. (BTW, after the military, I used my Montgomery GI Bill college money towards a nanodegree in Mobile Development, and I'm currently an Android Developer)

Charlie

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically in a new phone box, there are two "layers" of stuff, one contains the phone, on top, and then that tray lifts out and you have earbuds, charging cables, manuals, etc in the bottom tray.  Her phone had none of that?

0 Likes
rico11643

Not a thing, and believe me, a few months won't go by without me purchasing a new device, so I'm quite familiar with the box contents. Like I said, we noticed this when I got my phone. I know you guys didn't hear about it right away, but if I was trying to concoct a story to get a charger, I just would have said that mine didn't come with one, removing the time issue completely. And I even realized that even if we were still short a charger, the chances of Verizon sending a charger, would be much greater if I just said that mine was missing. But I'm telling the honest truth, and there is absolutely no way I would put any effort towards trying to get something I didn't think was deserved. Especially for a smartphone charger, as I own countless charger, and personally own 2 Motorola Turbo Chargers my self. For the sake of my Mother's convenience, and it being the main reason she even bought the device, and for the health of her phone, I gave her one of Mine. I do almost all of

my

development work on a Nexus 6, and since I gave her that charger, there's no way for me to safely charge my work phone (Nexus 6) and daily driver (Maxx 2) simultaneously, and i have had to alter my work habits. And I know that part isn't your problem, and that's why I haven't brought it up until now, but the fact remains that regardless of the amount of time that has passed, no amount of time changes the fact that it was paid for, and in no alters ownership. It's was purchased, but its not in the possession of the owner. It's hard to imagine any other business take money for a purchase, then come up with some arbitrary time limit, and use it as a reason to not hand over what you purchased. 15 years. Customers for 15 years, and now all the sudden we try to scam a charger?

Charlie

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not doubting your word - it just seems odd that the box would be empty - I know a Verizon store will typically activate and get your new phone set up before you leave the store, and give you the box and your old phone - and the box has all the goodies (charger, etc) in it. 

How long was the box in the car before you had her go and retrieve it?  A week?  A month?  I would have taken the box and all back to the store and asked about it.  The box usually shows or lists what is in the box....and I've never gotten a box without a charger.  I'm not doubting what you say...but something isn't right....

0 Likes
rico11643

You're Quote,

"and I've never gotten a box without a charger.  I'm not doubting what you say...but something isn't right"

You understand that's why I called you right? If I thought that it was "right" that there wasn't a charger in the box, or this was some kind of normal occurrence, I wouldn't be talking to you right now. This is my 6th email. I'm not going to keep answering one or two questions email after email. I've given you way more information than you need. If you had no doubts about my story, there's no reason this wouldn't be fixed, and no reason to keep asking me questions over and over. This is the second time you guys have reached out to me, then refuse to help. Read my original post again if you missed what I said I was certain nothing would be done, and that's not why I made the post. That was a forum post, and I didn't request anyone to do anything. I was sharing the experience of a customer of 15 years, who has never asked for anything. Don't worry, I'm not asking anyone to make the smallest amount of effort. I'm sure your job sucks. I've had some pretty bad days at work myself,

so I

can sympathize. One time, I went to work, and wouldn't you know it, I misplaced my ability to walk! Lol. What a day that was! Lol. Anyways, thank you for having me write 7 emails for absolutely no reason. I had to brush up on my typing skills anyway. Try to hang in there, and remember, if anyone ever asks you to do anything, just play dumb, and keep asking questions like you don't understand anything. Pretty soon they just get frustrated and go away. It works pretty well, lol, I just wish I'd learned it sooner. Bye!

P.S.

Stop wasting my time, I have a lot places to not walk to

Charlie

0 Likes