Mobile Hotspot to PS4
Slipknirvana

Huge 100% packet loss. Ping is 50 on phone then 1000 on PS4.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mobile Hotspot to PS4
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Not sure I am understanding the problem in its full context or not but the VZW NAT firewall will stop you from hosting games on your console.  You should be able to play and connect to other games though.  We would also need confirmation on what mobile hotspot VZW device you are referring to in this situation.

Known workarounds for VZWs NAT Firewall:

1. Purchase a static/public IP from VZW for around $500.00

2. Setup and use a VPN to a server with a public IP

3. Purchase a VZW device that comes with a public IP such as 4G LTE Internet Installed

4. Terminate service with VZW and use another ISP that provides free public IP addresses

If this is purely a performance problem then consider adjusting the distance between your game console and the mobile hotspot.  Most mobile hotspot features and devices have a very short WiFi range.  When performance testing it is important to minimize both the distance from the client to the AP as well as the interference between them.

To minimize interference you would have to scan the air for competing WiFi signals and migrate to an open but non-overlapping wireless channel (1, 6 and 11 on 2.4 GHz).  That or migrate from 2.4 GHz to 5.0 GHz where there are many more options available.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The PS4 wants a public IP address and the NAT firewall used by Verizon Wireless 4G network is a private IP address.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Slipknirvana

Is there anyway to correct this?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could purchase a public IP address, but I don't know if you can for a phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Not sure I am understanding the problem in its full context or not but the VZW NAT firewall will stop you from hosting games on your console.  You should be able to play and connect to other games though.  We would also need confirmation on what mobile hotspot VZW device you are referring to in this situation.

Known workarounds for VZWs NAT Firewall:

1. Purchase a static/public IP from VZW for around $500.00

2. Setup and use a VPN to a server with a public IP

3. Purchase a VZW device that comes with a public IP such as 4G LTE Internet Installed

4. Terminate service with VZW and use another ISP that provides free public IP addresses

If this is purely a performance problem then consider adjusting the distance between your game console and the mobile hotspot.  Most mobile hotspot features and devices have a very short WiFi range.  When performance testing it is important to minimize both the distance from the client to the AP as well as the interference between them.

To minimize interference you would have to scan the air for competing WiFi signals and migrate to an open but non-overlapping wireless channel (1, 6 and 11 on 2.4 GHz).  That or migrate from 2.4 GHz to 5.0 GHz where there are many more options available.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Slipknirvana, being a bit of a gamer myself I understand needing to speed and reliability of a data connection. We want to assist you in the best way possible, but we need more details. Exactly are you experiencing?

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Slipknirvana

I hope you can see those pictures.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Slipknirvana wrote:

I hope you can see those pictures.

There are no pictures attached.  If you sent them via email, any attachments are removed.  You need to log into the community forum and post them directly to the the discussion thread using the text dialog editor

0 Likes