Moto E4 Unusual Battery Drain Just Started Days Ago
username235
Enthusiast - Level 1

The morning of February 17, 2022 after checking my phone (Motorola E4, roughly 2-3 years old though I don't remember the date that I bought it) I noticed that my battery was strangely low. After checking battery usage it seems that overnight while I was sleeping something occurred which started using a lot of battery power, and the graph which displays estimated percentage remaining showed a normal steady decline followed by an unusually steep decline which has persisted ever since. This is odd because I rarely use my phone for more than texts/calls, I don't use any memory/battery-intensive apps, I always close apps when finished, I always have the display on low (about 10-15%), and I always have Battery Saver and Data Saver enabled. I have had intermittent issues in the past with inexplicable battery drain in which the battery only lasts for a couple days or less before needing a recharge, but with the way I typically use my phone the battery lasts roughly a week or so. I have made an image composite of 6 screenshots I took on the first day which I can provide if they would be useful, but I chose not to add them to this post because it seems that I would have to upload them to an image hosting website.

Looking at the battery details menu showing which apps have been using battery it lists Verizon Cloud and Wi-Fi each using 1% though I rarely use Wi-Fi (and hadn't that day) and never use Verizon Cloud. In addition, the details menu shows that Android System seems to have used 50% of the battery power, and further details show services which I've never seen and which I can't imagine why they're being used, such as: FMRadioService, Key Chain, Motorola Thermal Service, com.motorola.motgeofencesvc. com.motorola.motgeofencesvc contains the word "geofence" which I assume has something to do with the unconstitutional Geo-fence warrants which law enforcement uses to illegally search people's phones within a certain area. Could my phone have been somehow hacked/compromised or are these services normally running on any phone offered by Verizon? It is quite irritating that my phone's battery now only lasts a day or less when I'm not even using it, and I'm sure it would last much less than that if I were using any apps. I hope this is not a case of planned obsolescence in which the battery/phone is designed to fail.

After looking online for potential solutions I decided that I would try clearing the cache of many apps and restarting my phone. I have also let the battery drain to 0% each day before fully recharging. Neither of these has had any effect on the battery drain.

I'd be grateful for any tips or insights from people who may have experienced these issues or any folks at Verizon who may know what's going on. To reiterate: I've been using my phone like normal and have no idea what could have caused this irritating recent change. I hope that if this is a common issue then Verizon will kindly offer to replace my battery/phone at no cost to me given that this problem seems only to have been caused by them. If Verizon is unable to address this issue then I will never use any of Verizon's services again and be sure to inform all of the people that I know about my frustrating experience.

0 Likes
Re: Moto E4 Unusual Battery Drain Just Started Days Ago
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, username235. We know how important battery performance can be. We are sending a Private Note to assist you further. 

*Cassie

0 Likes
ourphonesRhere

I have the same problem as username235 except that I have a Samsung S6.  It started about the same time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are experiencing increased volumes. We will be with you shortly. Do not respond as this may cause delays in receiving a return message.

-Lorenzo

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, ourphonesRhere. We definitely want to ensure your phone performs as expected and we are saddened to hear you're having this experience. I am confident that we can turn this around. Please note that since you mentioned this is an S6 model, it is entirely feasible to experience battery issues as the original release date of this phone was in 2015. Assuming you have had no prior battery replacements on your phone, this may be a normal experience after over 8 years of usage.

-Lorenzo

0 Likes
PDiBona
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Moto e4 with the same problem. I noticed the USB port is somewhat loose. I ordered another USB board to solve the wobliness and maybe the battery drain. We will see if the latter occurs after the new board is installed.

0 Likes