Moto X 2nd Gen. VoLTE
Ashleigh919
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why do ridiculously old devices like the Droid Mini and Maxx have advanced calling but the Moto X 2nd Gen. does not? I don't care about advanced calling one bit. I don't use voice and data together that frequently, but for the times that I do need it, this is very annoying.

Labels (1)
Re: Moto X 2nd Gen. VoLTE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ashleigh919 I understand wanting to enjoy the latest and greatest! We're continously working to provide the convenience to more and more devices. To stay up on the latest additions, check out http://vz.to/1voIODn

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ashleigh919
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, but that didn't really answer my question.  The question was two-fold: why do MUCH older devices, e.g. the Droid Mini, which is over 2 years old, have it, and WHEN is it coming to the 2nd Gen. Moto X, which does not have simultaneous voice and data capabilities?  It's also frustrating to see the message pop up EVERY time I'm on a call!  Again, I don't need the simultaneous capability all the time, but I do need it sometimes.  My mother asked me to look up something the other day, and I had to call her back to do it.  And no, wifi is not always an option, nor do I want to constantly switch it on and off, either, even when it is an option.

heado
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same question so I hope Verizon will provide a clear answer as to when Advanced Calling 1.0 will roll out to the Moto X 2nd Gen.  When I purchased the Moto X 2nd Gen I was told the firmware update would roll out over the air by "the end of Fall".  I just checked Google:  Fall ended December 21st!

I never realized how often I used voice + data in the past, but every time I need it now it becomes painfully obvious how often I use this BASIC feature.

moab12
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received this in response to my questions about the lack of Advanced calling on the Moto X (20140 from Motorola Executive Customer Escalations:

"I understand your position and I am sorry it has been so frustrating for you.  Please understand that it was never our intention for the phone to be a frustration.  Verizon has decided to implement a new feature on their devices, which is why the device was released as it was.  The date of the update will come from Verizon as this is something for their devices.  We are working with Verizon and are doing our best to make this happen as soon as possible.  I understand this has been extremely frustrating and I apologize.  As I said I am working on getting a general idea or a specific date when this update will be released."

Kind Regards,

xxxxx  (I removed the name)

Motorola Mobility

So Verizion says it is Motorola and Motorola says it it Verizion..... Well the phone already has the hardware to be VoLTE capable.... why not ENABLE IT?!!

Tidbits
Legend

moab12 wrote:

So Verizion says it is Motorola and Motorola says it it Verizion..... Well the phone already has the hardware to be VoLTE capable.... why not ENABLE IT?!!

If there are problems with the code will you suck it up and not complain because it was released when it wasn't completely ready?  If you are not willing to suck it up then wait.  They may have good reasons for not pushing it out so quick.

I can say first hand some of the problems that can arise.  T-Mobile in my area for example released VoLTE.  It'll ring once and that's it.  If someone answers the first 10 seconds of the phone call you can't hear each other.  On WiFi-Calling depending on which router, and which network I am on(friends, work, or my own) I get different characteristics, and at times I sound like I have my head in a bucket.

GT61
Enthusiast - Level 2

The older phone question is a good point but I don't care about older devices.  I just want to know when the 2nd gen. Moto X will have it.

deepblu00
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to buy a new prepaid phone... The Moto Luge worked great and I could make calls and tether at the same time. Unfortunately it was damaged and I needed a new phone quick. So got the Moto E (2nd gen) mostly because it had Android 5.xx capabilities and the Luge was not going to get it. So I'm away from home trying to work AND use the phone at the same time... Hmmm... tether drops and call shows 1x instead of LTE and call quality bad..  Now I'm finding out that the Moto E cannot do what the Luge can and it looks like the new phones don't have the capability... AND I'm seeing comments that the prepaid phone service won't/don't have advanced calling... Odd.. It worked with luge and not Moto E ... So, what is the official policy on simultaneous tethering and calls on prepaid.. AND why didn't Verizon tell me the new phone was a downgrade from the LUGE....  Is the new design changes from Moto something Verizon had engineered into the new phone that will require a new fee to get the simultaneous call/tether to work?

Kingtaco1328
Enthusiast - Level 1

I designed and purchased my Moto X 2014 directly from Motorola the day it was available. It cost me $750 this was with a few accessories and a shell/case.  I did the engraving and customized the boot screen.   It was the best experience I have ever had.   Then it arrived and because I didn't know in advance the phone wouldn't talk and surf it was then considered a used device and was not eligible for return.  Verizon also activated the device and placed me in a 2 yr contract even though my contract obligation was fulfilled.  Tier 3 support had to Google and read the forums to even know the phone couldn't talk and surf I was the first one to call in because Verizon didn't even have it in the store at this time.    This isn't a feature for me.  This is a requirement as per my job updates my companies app while I'm on the phone and I must confirm I received the update prior to hanging up.   So I went back to my Droid maxx. Then the turbo came out and I waited until they released the advanced calling to make the purchase.   Now I have my girlfriend on the moto X and to this day that phone is still not acceptable in its current state.   Name 1 other Verizon  smartphone that can't talk and surf?   I can't believe they can't even come out and give us an update on this issue.   I have spent more money on that phone than any other.... Ever!!!  I read about a secret menu option to force the feature but I can't make it work on Verizon.   The big question is will it ever talk and surf...