Moto g6 won't boot up
KurtLivelySpokane

(did not find a Moto g6-specific discussion board so posting here)

Moto g6 phone worked great for a couple of months, but about a week and a half ago, it started acting up, powering itself off.   When it would come up, the charge would show just fine (80%, 90%, whatever it was when last accessed).   All the same, I checked my Battery Saver options, screen saver, etc.   It began to get worse, sometimes taking several attempts to get it to power up.   Then it started blanking out in the middle of using it.   I booted into Safe Mode, and the behavior was the same.   Now, it will not complete a boot cycle.   It shows the Motorola splash screen, but seldom gets as far as the "Hello Moto" screen and no longer ever gets as far as my home screen any more.

When on the charge cable, it shows a good charge, and I leave it plugged in overnight.   It starts out showing 100% on its charging screen, but no change in boot behavior.

Followed troubleshooting steps on Motorola's support page - no go.   

Anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Moto g6 won't boot up
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a valued customer, your device concerns are our concerns too. We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Moto G6 powering itself off. We've also noted the troubleshooting steps you've completed with your device including accessing Motorola's support page and we thank you for your time and patience. Having a reliable device is very important and rest assured we'll do everything we can to assist you. We've also noted your reference to not being able to find a Moto G6 specific discussion board. Did you know that Verizon has a Moto G6 Support Overview website? You can visit our website at http://spr.ly/66021D51s. Once you've accessed the website you'll be able to view and click the "Troubleshoot moto g6" link for assistance to use this online tool that will help you identify and resolve problems with your device. In the meantime, let's work together on this matter. Noting that your Moto G6 started experiencing issues about a week and a half ago, have there been any recent changes with your device? (e.g. software update, new apps downloaded, etc.). We certainly don't want to have you repeat the same troubleshooting steps you've already completed so let's begin with basic troubleshooting steps to help. To ensure that your device Moto G6 isn't experiencing this issue due to a lack of power, please place the device into a charging state for at least 15-20 minutes. Once completed, attempt to power on the device by pressing and holding the power button for a minimum or 5-10 seconds. Once you've completed the charging state for at least 15-20 minutes please follow the steps provided at http://spr.ly/66031D51t. We know these troubleshooting steps may take a few minutes to complete and we'll be right here to assist you further. Please keep our team updated. - RobertC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
KurtLivelySpokane

Thank you for the reply.   I am pretty sure I have at least come close to following those steps, and have tried the steps at http://spr.ly/66031D51t.

I will follow the list exactly, however, just to be sure.

I can say that even when the phone is charged overnight, and the display (black screen with just the circle indicating charge percentage) shows 100%.

The Verizon store employee saw this as well, so the problem seems to be not necessarily related to the actual battery charge level.

I believe the most recent app I installed was several weeks before the problem first manifested.   Even so, I also saw the problem when the device was booted into Safe Mode (where all apps were grayed out and it said "Safe Mode" on the screen.

The last few days, I cannot ever get it to boot all the way up.   It goes to the Moto splash screen (blue screen with yellow Motorola logo and "powered by android" at the bottom), and then goes black before even getting to the "Hello Moto" screens.

All the same, I will try the steps and report the results.

Thanks.

0 Likes
KurtLivelySpokane

My results were as follows:

10/3 4:35pm (phone had been sitting on the counter for a couple of days, not plugged in).  Plugged in phone.  Lightning bolt inside the circle screen for a few seconds, then reported 94% charge for a few seconds and then returned to black screen.  Left it plugged in.

4:55pm (left phone plugged in)  Held power button for 10 seconds.   The blue Moto screen came on after a couple of seconds, and went blank around the same time I released the power button at 10 seconds.  It booted to the blue Moto screen again for a few seconds, then went blank (black screen).   The lightning bolt screen came on for a few seconds, then the charge screen, but the battery symbol had a "?" in it and no charge level reported.  Left it plugged in.

5:25pm (phone still plugged in).  Held power button for 20 seconds.   The blue Moto screen came on and went blank twice during this 20 second period, and came on a third time right at 20 seconds at which point I released the power button.   After a few seconds, the blue Moto screen was replaced by black screen, then the lightning bolt screen, then reported 97% charge.   Held the power button for 3 seconds.   Phone booted to blue Moto screen for a few seconds, then black screen, then lightning bolt screen, then reported 98% charge.   After a few seconds, it went blank.  Left phone plugged in.

6:15pm (phone still plugged in).   Held in power button until blue Moto screen came up (took about 5 seconds).   Blue Moto screen stayed about 5 seconds, then went to black screen, then lightning bolt screen for a few seconds, then reported 97% charge for a few seconds, and then returned to black screen.   Left phone plugged in overnight.

10/4 6:30am (phone still plugged in).   Tapped power button briefly, and it showed 100% charge.  Held power button 20 seconds to repeat test of yesterday at 5:25pm, and results were same as yesterday, only with charge percentages of 98% and 99%.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KurtLivelySpokane, your efforts are appreciated & we want to make sure we get your phone to work like a well-oiled machine once again. Please place your phone in Safe Mode by following these steps https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-217744/ When you are in Safe Mode, this disables all 3rd party apps to see if there is anything glitching with your phone. Please keep it in Safe Mode for about 30 minutes to see if anything helps. To turn Safe Mode off, you will turn your phone completely off & then back on. Keep us in the loop on what happens.  AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for all those vital details. Let's simulate a battery pull. Please carefully follow the steps in the link provided: verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-217787/ 

-BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes