Music Download, Upload, Playback Complexities
Escalante48

I have spent a number of hours learning about the roadblocks involved in uploading / downloading / copying music from a computer to mobile devices.  Unfortunately, it appears that the music merchants are making things increasingly complicated.  On a hit or miss proposition, CDs can be ripped to a computer music folder from a CD.  Thereafter, the ripped music "may" be able to be transferred to a mobile device and appear within an appropriate Internal Storage folder.  I learned that I could not play an entire CD "album" without using a music app, in this case Google Play Music.  Music purchased from Amazon can only be played from the Amazon Music App and cannot be downloaded.  This will make life increasingly difficult, and in some cases, more expensive, for everyone.  Wireless companies and smartphone manufacturers also may not include the necessary codecs for playback of uploaded music from a computer.  It has taken several hours to learn about all of this, but my overall impression is that high tech does not necessarily equate to a more user friendly environment.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Music Download, Upload, Playback Complexities
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I have NEVER had a problem uploading any of my music to ANY of my devices and playing it. No matter the source.

I have about 500 CDs that I rip to my Mac and I would then put my SD card into an adapter and then into the computer. Then I would put the music I wanted into the appropriate folder on the card and then the SD card into my phone and VOILA! I had music. All file types played.

I have even downloaded music from Amazon as .mp3 files to my computer and put them on my phone.

Escalante48

Thanks for  your response.  I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10.  My phone does not have an SD slot. I ripped 3 CDs to the laptop using an external DVD/CD drive.  The music played fine on all three of them from the laptop.  When I transferred the content to my Android Droid Turbo, only one of the three would play back.  The two that did not were a double CD set.  When I went into the Droid Turbo Music folder and tapped any of the songs it threw up a message that said the tracks could not be played.  I deleted the music from the phone and laptop and repeated the process again, from scratch, and the process still failed.  My phone as mentioned above is an Android device.  I discovered that the one CD that did successfully transfer and play back also appears in the Google Play Music App, and I can play back the entire album from there.  The Droid Turbo will only allow playback of one song at a time from the Music folder.  I gave up on the two CD set.  I bought the MP3 from Amazon, and it appears ONLY in my Amazon Music App folder and nowhere else - not on the phone - not on Google Play Music.  After reading Amazon Music website information, unless I have lost my mind, as of January of this year, if you buy music from Amazon, the ONLY place you can play / store it is in the Amazon Music App.

I am disappointed and frustrated that after repeated efforts the two CD set would not play back on the Droid Turbo phone.  I did a little research on that and apparently some phone manufacturers have incompatible codecs which prevent playback of some ripped music.  Maybe the Droid Turbo is one of them.  I guess I could copy over the two CD set and have it appear in the Music Folder and take the phone to the store and have them look at it, but I think that would just be a waste of time.

I think there is some kind of DRM or other copyright protection for this particular CD set that is in the way.  I am not an Apple / MAC person, by the way.

0 Likes
Escalante48

I did yet some more online research, and I found a website that FINALLY revealed what my problem was.  Using a PC and Windows 10 / Windows Media Player and clicking on the drop-down menu for RIP settings, I was able to click on MP3 for ripping the CDs.  Here is the website that finally solved my problem.  https://www.technipages.com/how-to-copy-music-from-cd-to-android   I had it set to a "Windows" format instead of MP3.  Now the music both appears and plays off the phone and in Google Music Play.  What an incredible journey this has been.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That was mentioned in your earlier thread, i.e.,

Re: Droid Turbo Won't Play Music Tracks

0 Likes