My HTC One M8 is sending duplicate texts
Sbrondsema

I have read through many of the threads already addressing this issue and none of the suggested fixes have seemed to work.

Not always, but quite regularly, my phone is sending duplicate texts. 

• It is not always the same person
  • It happens both when I am using, and not using, WiFi
  • I have cleared my messaging cache
  • I am not using a 3rd party texting apps (and neither are they)
  • I have tried resetting my network settings
  • I have tried restarting
  • I have tried restarting in safe mode

Help would be appreciated as I am annoying my friends.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My HTC One M8 is sending duplicate texts
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sbrondsema texting is how we all communicate these days. Let's keep your messages flowing correctly. I realize that you stated that it is multiple users this happens with. What would be helpful to know is if these are Verizon customers, or customers of different providers, or both. You will also want to check to be sure you are not part of a group message when this is occurring.
RosanneM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Does this only happen when sending to other Verizon users or any other carrier? There must be some common denominator.

0 Likes
Sbrondsema

It is not happening during group messages; these are individual one-to-one exchanges.  It is happening to people with a mix of service providers, not just Verizon.  I appreciate your help.

I'm pretty sure the common denominator is me!

0 Likes
kgokeefe

I am having the same problem with my HTC One M8 and so is another Verizon user who posted on this website:

People I send texts to are getting anywhere from 2-12 duplicate messages from me? Delayed texts??

I just spent over an hour troubleshooting with HTC. Clearing the cache, restarting the phone about a thousand times, booting into safe mode. Trying to type a secret code into the dialer that didn't do what it was supposed to do even in safe mode. (*#*#4636#*#*)

Anyway, HTC said usually duplicate text problems are a problem with the carrier, so tag, Verizon, you're it.

I really don't want to do a factory reset.

What can I do?

I'm pretty sure most of the people I'm texting are on Verizon. My husband (HTC One M8) and daughter (Moto X) are getting duplicate texts from me. My son (Moto X) isn't. We are all using Andriod phones and are all Verizon on the same plan. I'm not sure what carrier my friends are on. I expect most are on Verizon since Verizon has the best coverage in my area. Some are Andrioid and some are iPhone.

I'm using the Messaging app which I'm pretty sure is the default app for my phone (it's not an installed app).

Please help, people are getting really annoyed with me.

Thanks!

Kathy

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Are you open to trying to use another and provider like Google Hangouts?

0 Likes
kgokeefe

I'm just using "Messaging" it's not a downloaded app. I use Google Hangouts with my husband and sister and no duplicates there. Only duplicates with "Messaging"

Kathy

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Right. I understand. Hangouts can also send SMS as well. I was trying to

determine if its an application issue or the phone operating system.

On Jan 7, 2016 5:30 PM, "kgverizonwireless" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Shilah

I am having the exact same issues, Sbrondsema.  I have tried everything you listed, also. Nothing helps. Duplicate texts are being received by Verizon and non Verizon phones. I just spent almost an hour on the phone with Verizon and after nothing they suggested worked they wanted me to do a Factory Reset. I don't want to do that!

Anyone out there have a solution??

0 Likes
ilikeverizonwireless

I had this problem on a Windows Phone, but then realized, that it was actually just social media accounts from different websites connected together, each having send me a SMS for messages or notifications, the problem came when i connected twitter to Facebook and Facebook to twitter.  I fixed the problem by disconnecting the accounts. 

Did you check if that was the problem?

0 Likes