My LG Ally is frozen and won't shut off
sdswan

This morning, when I tried to sign in to Google Talk it said it is unable to connect. When I cleared out of there I decided to power off and see if restarting helped the issue. Unfortunately, It got stuck while powering down and it won't shut off. I tried holding down buttons, which didn't do anything. I can't get the battery out and broke my nail in a really painful way trying. Any advice? How can I safely remove the battery without resorting to prying it out with a screwdriver?

If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful. I love this phone and hope this won't become a recurring issue.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My LG Ally is frozen and won't shut off
nighthawk

My Lg Ally also had the exact same problem. I called tech support and after a couple of subsequent freezes, Verizon sent me a new phone. After a couple of days, the new phone is experiencing similar symptoms. The one thing I noticed that both phones had in common was the location where the freezing occurred. I was trying to place a call, when located approximately a hundred and fifty yards from a known cell site. I wonder if you have noticed the problem reoccurring at a particular location or proximity to a cell site. This is just an observation that I have made. As far as the battery, I would try to find a small piece of plastic or even a small baby spoon to pry the battery out. Something that will not damage the case. The only way to reset the phone is to pull out the battery. After you remove the battery, you might put a small tab of tape around the top. This way, if it happens again, you can pull on the tab of tape to remove the battery. (kind of like you see in the battery holder compartment of portable radios.) I hope this is not a common problem with these phones. Hopefully Verizon and LG will identify this problem immediately.

0 Likes
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

sdswan wrote:

This morning, when I tried to sign in to Google Talk it said it is unable to connect. When I cleared out of there I decided to power off and see if restarting helped the issue. Unfortunately, It got stuck while powering down and it won't shut off. I tried holding down buttons, which didn't do anything. I can't get the battery out and broke my nail in a really painful way trying. Any advice? How can I safely remove the battery without resorting to prying it out with a screwdriver?

If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful. I love this phone and hope this won't become a recurring issue.

Yeah the Battery is sitting a little tight it it's compartment...  I use the corner of a credit card or Key Card that way the Plastic won't scratch anything and it seems to pop out fairly easily.....

0 Likes
Kinjin

My Ally is having the same problem, it locks up during shutdown everytime, its getting a little annoying.

0 Likes
vanner

My Ally has frozen up twice in the first four days I used it.  It lost the 3G network connection, and when I went to power it off it locked up and stayed on the "powering down" screen indefinitely.  The only way to recover from that was to remove the battery.  I called Verizon tech support, and they suggested removing the battery or going into a Verizon store and having a technician look at it.  It doesn't look like a hardware problem to me - it is probably software/firmware.  So having a technician look at it seems like a waste of time.  This reminds me of the pre-Win XP days, where you regularly got the blue screen of death Smiley Sad.  If the phone locks up again I am returning it and getting a different model.

0 Likes
canefan

Man, I must have got one of the good LG Ally's...to date, I haven't had ANY problems with mine

that some of the few(I repeat, few)people are having with they're Ally's:smileyhappy:   Just lovin'

mine.  Guess I should feel blessed, huh?  It is truly a good quality phone!!!!  Had LG's every since

I've been with verizon(10yrs.)

0 Likes
bamagirl92

I guess I'm lucky as well.  Mine works fine.  It does drain the battery pretty quickly, but other than that, I haven't had any issues to speak of with mine:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
evets90

I got the same problem here. Seems the phone loses the 3G connection (and subsequently ALL other wireless connections, as if it got totally cut off from the network), and then the phone will freeze on shutdown and I have to open the phone and pry the battery out of the Fort Knox that is the phone (seriously, why is this so hard to remove? Do not attempt to remove the battery with fingernails, you will get hurt).

My diagnosis: 100% software problem.

0 Likes
rocket191987

This just happened to me this morning too --- with my brand new Ally (not even 1 week old).

I left my apartment (after charging the phone), turned on Pandora - which played 1 song before it stopped playing.  I checked in on it, and Pandora wasn't loading - nor was anything related to data (email, internet, etc.).  I did not try calling.

Once I got to work, I tried somemore to no avail.  Thinking a restart would help, I tried to shut down the Ally (also the first shut down I've done), and it froze on the shut down screen.  Worried, I had to scramble the internet on how to pry off the hard plastic shell I got with the phone and then the backplate and pull out the battery.

Has anyone had success in getting this problem fixed?  Is Verizon/LG going to release a patch?  This was my first smartphone ever, and I quickly fell in love with it - so this is extremely frustrating.

0 Likes
Lovelilady

Wow, I'm feeling pretty lucky too!  The realitively "fast" battery drain has been my main issue.  But I agree with everyone else when it comes to trying to get that battery out - broke two fingernails clean off!  I don't know why it has to be that tight - never had an issue getting the battery out with my old Blackberry.  (Yeah, I went there - but I'm an Android lover now!)

0 Likes