My android 4 runs slow, is there something I can do to speed it up?
JonBerini
Enthusiast - Level 2

I Have a Motorola android 4, it runs slow and drains through the battery really fast. Is there something I can do to speed it up? An app, maybe for cleaning up cache or files to speed it up???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My android 4 runs slow, is there something I can do to speed it up?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JonBerini,

Thanks for the great details you've provided about what's going on. We want to ensure that we get your phone back in tip top shape, so let's dig a little bit further.

You mentioned that you're primarily using your phone as a phone and not for streaming audio or video or with any apps, so that's a good thing. And the amount of pictures and video you have stored shouldn't affect the battery life if you're not using or manipulating them. Have you tried using a different charger to confirm the device is being charged properly? After you've charged to 100%, please check your battery usage information by going to Settings > Battery to review what your phone is reporting as the cause of the battery drain. Here's a visual http://vz.to/1T3Br2q .

Since you have 3rd party apps installed and only use your phone to make/receive calls and texts, we'd like to have you test the phone in Safe Mode. Doing this disables 3rd party apps and prevents them from running at start up. While in Safe Mode, you should use your phone normally to see if battery life improves for you. To enter safe mode,  turn your phone off completely then press and hold the Power button and the OK key (on the device's keyboard). Continue holding the OK key until the phone powers on completely and Safe Mode displays in the lower left of the screen. Let us know if you notice any improvement in battery life.

ShawnteJ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JonBerini!

I'm sorry to learn that your phone is running slow. Let's gather some information about that. When did this begin? How long does your battery last? How do you use your phone? Are you streaming audio or video? Please elaborate for me, thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JonBerini
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you ChristinaB,

IT has been doing this for some time, a couple of months. my battery lasts about 6 hours untouched. But if I was to use the phone, for any purpose, the battery level gauge will go from saying 100% instantly down to 20%, it's almost like it never actually received the charging though the gauge says 100% and also get the "I'm charged" chime from the phone. I do not stream video or audio. my phones primary functions, uses....receiving/sending calls/texts. i have in the past used things like Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, Yahoo and Google news feeds...it has been maybe a year since using my phone for those purposes as I have an iPad now, it possible those apps or the usage at the time is causing a belated affect? I did watch videos and listened to audio at that time, saved many to my phone, actual downloads, not links or anything that if viewed now would require any action of the Internet or cell service to complete. There could be embedded items I suppose??? I have somewhere in the range of 7000 pictures and maybe 50 videos.

i have 16GB with 9.10GB available.

i Have CM security, Mobile security, and Lookout installed. Could these be running in conflict?

i Have Battery Doctor and Clean Master installed. Are these even helpful? I use them, run their tasks, doesn't seem to change anything.

when I exit an application or service I go to my recently opened menu and close all the background apps. I also use battery doctor to close any background apps and battery depleting programs...doing so, seems to change nothing for the actual life of the battery.

Thank you Christina

jonb

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JonBerini,

Thanks for the great details you've provided about what's going on. We want to ensure that we get your phone back in tip top shape, so let's dig a little bit further.

You mentioned that you're primarily using your phone as a phone and not for streaming audio or video or with any apps, so that's a good thing. And the amount of pictures and video you have stored shouldn't affect the battery life if you're not using or manipulating them. Have you tried using a different charger to confirm the device is being charged properly? After you've charged to 100%, please check your battery usage information by going to Settings > Battery to review what your phone is reporting as the cause of the battery drain. Here's a visual http://vz.to/1T3Br2q .

Since you have 3rd party apps installed and only use your phone to make/receive calls and texts, we'd like to have you test the phone in Safe Mode. Doing this disables 3rd party apps and prevents them from running at start up. While in Safe Mode, you should use your phone normally to see if battery life improves for you. To enter safe mode,  turn your phone off completely then press and hold the Power button and the OK key (on the device's keyboard). Continue holding the OK key until the phone powers on completely and Safe Mode displays in the lower left of the screen. Let us know if you notice any improvement in battery life.

ShawnteJ_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

JonBerini
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you ShawnteJ,

i completely forgot about checking the battery usage prior, through settings, however I did put the phone in safe mode about 24 hours ago. I have been using the phone like normal, and the battery lasted almost 10 hours. AMAZING

i still have it in safe mode.

my guess, you'll want to take it out of safe mode and try checking the battery usage after some time, as to give it time to have sufficient data to report??

if I reset my phone, I'd would loose my pictures and videos, correct?

THank you for your continued help in this matter : )

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the battery life is better in safe mode then there is definitely an downloaded application causing the battery drain. You should start removing some of those applications to test which might be the cause. I would suggest starting with uninstalling the Facebook application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also remove any task killer applications. They are causing more harm than good.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JonBerini We appreciate the update it helps with our troubleshooting. Since the phone is working in Safe Mode we can conclude the issue is with an app. What we suggest is that you add the apps back one at a time. Be sure to test it after each add and delete the one app that drains the battery. Also, if you backup your information you can restore it after a reset to the phone.
DeloresK_VZW

JonBerini
Enthusiast - Level 2

THANK YOU Ann154 and DeloresK

i will try that

THANK YOU THANK YOU : )

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JonBerini We apprecicate all your efforts. Please keep us posted.
DeloresK_VZW