My data usage has doubled for no descernable reason.
loboloco
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Galaxy Note 4, a Blackberry Bold 9930 and a Verizon Netgear Router, all of which I had for a while now. For the past 3 month I have exceeded my 30 GB data plan 2/3 through the cycle, whereas before I was hard pressed to even use up all of my data. While in the past I was on the internet, using Verizon's 4G network, all day long I have cut my time dramatically. Before, I never even disconnected my Verizon router. I spend most of my time on facebook and also used to watch and download videos. Now, I spend less then half the amount of time on the internet and no longer watch or download videos, yet my data usage has almost doubled during the same period.

Any ideas? Did Verizon make changes to its data network? I am about ready to cancel my Verizon internet and go without.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My data usage has doubled for no descernable reason.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Loboloco, this would concern me big time too. Let's do all we can to help get the data usage back under control.

Outside of those two phones, what other electronic devices do you connect to your router?

Those devices may also be using up data directly. Especially if those other phones do not connect to the router too.

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
loboloco
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only device connected to my router/wifi is my laptop. My Blackberry has been turned off for a while. My Note 4 is set to update "over wifi only" and the wifi is turned off. I only update over free public wifi networks, and I have no apps running in the background.

I live alone in the country and my nearest neighbor is over a mile away. No one but me has access to my secure network. The only change to my internet habits has been that I spend dramatically less time on it and very rarely watch videos, whereas before I would download lengthy HD videos at the end of my billing cycle just to use up my remaining data.

0 Likes
loboloco
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had Verizon 4G internet at this location for about 3 years now. I have not changed anything. Until  three month ago, I actually considered lowering my data plan, because I was not using my data allotment. The only reason I did not make any changes is, because I am grandfathered it at a much lower rate than what even smaller data plans cost now. The problem, i.e. data usage increase did not occur until about 3 month/billing cycles ago. I can not come up with any discernible explanation. I am planning on canceling my internet/data plan at the end of this billing cycle, because I was charged overage last month.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

loboloco, thanks for those important clues. Streaming videos will use large amounts of data allowance. Click the link below to understand how data usage is calculated:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/dataShareCalculator.jsp

LasinaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
loboloco
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are telling me things I already know. What I want to know is why my data use has doubled for the last three month while my time spend on the internet for the same period has been nearly cut in half. I watched and downloaded lots of videos prior that, but have reduced downloads to zero and watching to nearly zero during this period. Nonetheless, I am already at above 75% data allowance for this billing cycle.

I disconnected my router last month and used my phone as a mobile hotspot. It did not reduce my data use. Customer service adviced me to use the router again, because it would use less data. Turns out, that is not the case.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

loboloco, We don’t want these kind of surprises. Let’s see what is going on with your data usage. These are some very helpful tools to be able to see how the data is being used  http://spr.ly/6584ByfYi The Data Utilization Tool will be the most helpful in determining where the heavier categories are.
JoelR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
loboloco
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to the data usage tool I have only gone above 1 Gb twice this billing cycle. Generously rounded up I have used 22 Gb so far. 75% of usage is from web&apps. Not very specific. Again, I have dramatically decreased my internet usage for the past 3 month. Therefore, it does not explain the current data usage increase.

0 Likes
loboloco
Enthusiast - Level 3

Only 4% of my entire data usage is attributed to videos.

0 Likes
loboloco
Enthusiast - Level 3

My data usage jumped significantly starting with the month of June.

0 Likes